NirSoft has developed Advanced Run, a free startup setting changer software that’s available in English and other languages and compatible with Windows 7 up to Windows 10. You can use it on 32-bit and 64-bit systems, although it doesn’t support certain functions on Windows XP.
With Advanced Run, you can use this simple tool to run any software with different settings than the default. It lets you adjust high or low priority, the start directory, select different users and permissions and more. You can also save the settings as a configuration file and run it from the command line. Other personalization software includes Window Blinds, Fences and Win Toolkit.
With this tool, you customise the way you run the software. Although Windows will let you change some of these settings, the tool brings all those settings together in one place. The other advantage is that it gives you extra options not available in Windows settings.
You have the following options:
- Capture additional command-line arguments
- Choose a start directory
- Set the process priority and the window state (maximized or minimized)
- Choose the window position and size (width and height)
- Select to run the software without elevation or as a different user
- Select to use current or custom environment variables or to merge system and custom variables
- Define the process affinity mask
- Find a program using a search path if no full path is specified
- Parse environment variables inside the command line before applying them to the software
How to use Advanced Run
Since it is a portable program, it can run from any location on your PC. It uses a default CFG file to load the previous configuration when it starts. Otherwise, use command-line parameters to run a specified configuration file. It’s simple to create a shortcut or batch file to automate this process. This means you can program the software so that with one click, it will run with your custom configuration settings.
This utility also lets you change parameters in the command-line, such as RunAs and Exefilename. Even though there can be a slight delay when you start using Advanced Run configurations, the advantage is that you have better control over software startups.
Use software your way
Advanced Run brings together many Windows options on a single screen and adds some useful extra options. Since it’s portable, this program is great for IT administrators and helps to improve user satisfaction and security with adjustable permissions.