VirtualBox is a general-purpose full virtualizer for x86 hardware. Targeted at server, desktop and embedded use, it is now the only professional-quality virtualization solution that is also Open Source Software.
Some of the features of VirtualBox are:
- Modularity. VirtualBox has an extremely modular design with well-defined internal programming interfaces and a client/server design. This makes it easy to control it from several interfaces at once: for example, you can start a virtual machine in a typical virtual machine GUI and then control that machine from the command line, or possibly remotely. VirtualBox also comes with a full Software Development Kit: even though it is Open Source Software, you don't have to hack the source to write a new interface for VirtualBox.
- Virtual machine descriptions in XML. The configuration settings of virtual machines are stored entirely in XML and are independent of the local machines. Virtual machine definitions can therefore easily be ported to other computers.
* VMM: fixed network regressions (guest hangs during network IO) (bug #4343)
* VMM: guest SMP performance improvements
* VMM: fixed hangs and poor performance with Kaspersky Internet Security (VT-x/AMD-V only; bug #1778)
* VMM: fixed crashes when executing certain Linux guests (software virtualization only; bugs #2696 & #3868)
* ACPI: fixed Windows 2000 kernel hangs with IO-APIC enabled (bug #4348)
* APIC: fixed high idle load for certain Linux guests (3.0 regression)
* BIOS: properly handle Ctrl-Alt-Del in real mode
* iSCSI: fixed configuration parsing (bug #4236)
* OVF: fix potential confusion when exporting networks
* OVF: compatibility fix (bug #4452)
* NAT: fixed crashes under certain circumstances (bug #4330)
* 3D support: fixed dynamic linking on Solaris/OpenSolaris guests (bug #4399)
* 3D support: fixed incorrect context/window tracking for multithreaded apps
* Shared Folders: fixed loading from saved state (bug #1595)
* Shared Folders: host file permissions set to 0400 with Windows guest (bug #4381)
* X11 host and guest clipboard: fixed a number of issues, including bug #4380 and #4344
* X11 Additions: fixed some issues with seamless windows in X11 guests (bug #3727)
* Windows Additions: added VBoxServiceNT for NT4 guests (for time synchronization and guest properties)
* Windows Additions: fixed version lookup
* Linux hosts: workaround for buggy graphics drivers showing a black VM window on recent distributions (bug #4335)
* Linux hosts: fixed typo in kernel module startup script (bug #4388)
* Installer: support Pardus Linux
* Solaris hosts: several installer fixes
* Solaris host: fixed a preemption issue causing VMs to never start on Solaris 10 (bug #4328).
* Solaris guest: fixed mouse integration for OpenSolaris 2009.06 (bug #4365)
* Windows hosts: fixed high CPU usage after resuming the host (bug #2978)
* OVF: accept ovf:/disk/ specifiers with a single slash in addition to ovf://disk/ (bug #4452)
* Fixed a settings file conversion bug which sometimes caused hardware acceleration to be enabled for virtual machines that had no explicit configuration in the XML.