CotEditor is a Cocoa-based plain-text editor specifically for Mac OS X. The app supports syntax highlighting and it has powerful find-and-replace functionality with OniGmo.
Key Features include:
- Syntax Highlighting: Colorize more than 40 pre-installed major languages like HTML, PHP, Python, Ruby or Markdown.
- Find & Replace: Powerful find and replace using OniGmo regular expression engine.
- Setting via Click: You can access all your settings including syntax definitions and themes from a normal preferences window.
- Auto Backup: CotEditor backups your documents automatically while editing.
- Outline Menu: Extract specified lines with the predefined syntax and you can jump to the corresponding line.
- Split Editor: Split a window into multiple panes to view different area simultaneously.
- Character Inspector:Inspect unicode character data of each selected character in your document and display them in a popover.
- Incompatible Characters: Check and list-up the characters in your document that cannot be converted into the desired encoding.
- CJK Language Friendly: Estimate various file encodings accurately, toggle to vertical text mode and keep its line height correctly.
Overall, CotEditor is a powerful tool that allows developers to code apps for a varied selection of platforms as it comes with support for multiple programming languages.
Replace matches with preset replacement definition (Find > Multiple Replace).
Add outline menu to side bar.
Select tabbed window with ?+number.
Parse regular expression pattern in find string field in regular expression mode:
Highlight matching brace by moving cursor.
Select the range surrounded by a brace pair by double-clicking a brace.
Add a new theme “Resinifictrix”.
Give haptic feedback on pinch zoom when the scale becomes 100%.
Adjust background color for selected range in inactive editor to avoid unreadable text, especially by a dark theme.
Make the current line highlight semi-transparent if editor opacity is not 100%.
Ignore brackets escaped with \ on bracket pair highlight.
Restore selected inspector pane on window restoration.
Move “Get Info” and “Show Incompatible Characters” menu items into newly added View > Inspector submenu.
Update highlight style of icons in the side inspector.
Enable importing multiple syntax/theme setting files at once.
Import syntax style files via drag and drop to the Installed Syntax Styles area.
Avoid merging multiple separators next to each other in the navigation menu into a single separator.
Delete the feature alerting inconsistent encoding declaration in document on saving.
Remove ?1 shortcut for Console from default key-binding settings.
Avoid switching to inactive tabbed window only to show a syntax highlighting indicator.
Remove the workaround for the issue of editor scrolling on early macOS High Sierra that was introduced on CotEditor 3.2.4.
Optimize syntax highlighting performance.
Update “Java” syntax style by adding term var.
Trivial Use monospace digits where suitable.
Trivial non-AppStore ver.: Update Sparkle framework.
Fix a possible crash with continuous find/replacement.
Fix an issue where the font settings cannot be changed on macOS 10.12.
Fix an issue where the cursor position did not follow the line when Move Up command was performed at the end of the document.
Fix an issue where the find result in the input field of the find panel did not clear when a new find string was set from the find history menu.
Fix an issue where the sidebar inspector did close inward when the pane was switched after opening the sidebar outward.
Fix an issue where snippet keybindings could not be restored to the default correctly.
Fix an issue where progress spinner for outline menu displayed unwantedly on document opening.
Trivial: Fix some UI text.