HandBrake is an open-source, GPL-licensed, multiplatform, multithreaded DVD to MPEG-4 converter, available for MacOS X, Linux and Windows.
Supported sources: HandBrake is not limited to DVDs: it will now accept practically any type of video as a source.
- File format: MP4, MKV, AVI or OGM
- Video: MPEG-4 or H.264 (1 or 2 passes or constant quantizer/rate encoding)
- Audio: AAC, MP3, Vorbis or AC-3 pass-through (supports encoding of several audio tracks)
- Chapter selection
- Basic subtitle support (burned into the picture)
- Integrated bitrate calculator
- Picture deinterlacing, cropping and scaling
- Grayscale encoding
- Intel QuickSync Video Encode / Decode support.
> Windows only currently. We hope to bring this to Linux in the future but not for 0.10.
- Hardware Decode support via DXVA (Experimental - Windows Only)
> Decoding of some H.264, VC1 and WMV content via the GPU.
> Can provide a small improvement on slower hardware. Not suitable for fast CPU's
- Choice of Scalers
^ This is currently Handbrake's default scaler and will remain so.
> Bicubic (OpenCL) (Experimental)
^ Available on the Command Line (All Platforms) and Windows GUI. (Mac / Linux GUI's will come in a later release)
^ Currently only available in OpenCL form so requires a AMD or Intel GPU supporting OpenCL 1.1 or later. Nvidia GPU's are not currently supported.
^ When downscaling, up to 5% performance improvement can be achieved. No benefit when not downscaling.
^ Small loss in quality over the Lanczos scaler.
> hqdn3d filter now accepts individual settings for both chroma channels (Cr, Cb)
> New NlMeans? denoiser. This is very slow, but results are significantly better than hqdn3d.
> Added Windows Phone 8 Preset
- Updated Libraries
> x264 r2479-dd79a61
> Libav v10.1
> libbluray 0.5.0
- Libavformat is now used for muxing instead of mp4v2 and libmkv
> "Large File Size" checkbox has now bee removed for mp4, as the new muxer will transition to 64bit files automatically.
> mpeg2dec has also been replaced in favour of using libav
- The LibAV AAC encoder is now the default as FAAC has been removed.
> This encoder is adequate for most, but until it improves a bit further, we have enabled support for the FDK-AAC encoder also.
^ This FDK option is a temporary measure until the LibAV encoder improves.
^ Note that FDK-AAC is much slower and will likely bottleneck the encode process, but will produce better quality audio.
- H.265 encoder
> Using x265 v1.4
> This encoder is still early in it's development, so is missing many H.265 features and optimisations.
- Added VP8 Encoder (using libvpx)
> Available in MKV files only.
- Removed mcdeint deinterlace and decomb modes. This relied on the snow encoder in libav which has been was removed by upstream.
- Bug fixes and Misc Improvements
* Accessibility / Usability Improvements
- Added option to 'Use System Colors'. The app should now be more usable in a High Contrast mode.
- Fixed Tab ordering to make the app more keyboard friendly.
* LibHB is now used for scanning instead of the CLI.
- Experiential Preview window is now available as a result. (Can be enabled via preferences)
* Improved the layout and design of the Audio and Subtitle tabs.
- Split buttons similar to the old 0.9.8 WinForms? GUI
- Improved layout on the track listbox to make better use of the space.
* Improvements to Auto-Naming feature.
* When Done
- Added an option that will reset this to 'Do nothing' when the app is closed and restarted.
- New 'Presets' Menu
- Presets bar can now be hidden if it's not wanted.
* Numerous bug fixes
- Fixed the Issue in the source dropdown where the drive menu items did not work when clicked.
- Numerous fixes in the Picture settings panel around resolution calculation.
- Numerous fixes around the way Presets are loaded and saved, particularly around Picture settings.
- Removed Growl for Windows support due to bugs and issues with this library that remain unfixed. Project appears abandoned.
- Many misc other fixes.
* Windows XP is no longer supported. Windows Vista with Service Pack 2 or later is now a requirement.
* The 32bit build of the application is now considered deprecated. This is due to 32bit process memory limitations.