Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1
Apache OpenOffice is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics and databases. The application is available in many languages and works on all common computers.
Apache OpenOffice is the result of over twenty years' software engineering. Designed from the start as a single piece of software, it has a consistency other products cannot match. A completely open development process means that anyone can report bugs, request new features, or enhance the software.
Easy to use
Apache OpenOffice is easy to learn, and if you're already using another office software package, you'll take to it straight away. The world-wide native-language community means that Apache OpenOffice is probably available and supported in your own language.
Best of all, Apache OpenOffice can be downloaded and used entirely free of any licence fees. Apache OpenOffice is released under the LGPL licence. This means you may use it for any purpose - domestic, commercial, educational, public administration.
Note: As of April 2011, commercial development of OpenOffice.org project has been terminated. The code was contributed to the Apache Software Foundation, where volunteers continue to develop it. LibreOffice, a fork of OpenOffice is now available for download here.
# New translations available in Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 include:
* British English
# Updated translations available in Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 include:
# Important bug fixes have been made in these areas:
* "quickstarter" problems
* extension cleanup
* auto update check now re-enabled by default
* "undo" issues in Calc
* "redo" issues in Calc
* "freeze" problem with Calc and Writer when LanguageTool is installed
* non-detection of java. "Oracle" as a java provider was added to aid in JVM identification. Previously, the vendor was Sun.
# Performance Improvements/Enhancements
* Cleanup of temporary areas used by extensions installations. This will reduce the per-user disk footprint for multi-user installations.
* Keeping only one English dictionary for US-en installations instead of 5. This will save user space. Users will be able to add other English dictionaries (Canadian, Australian, New Zealand) as desired
* Hunspell library upgraded to version 1.3.2 from 1.2.9. This version contains several improvements especially for Dutch, German and other Germanic languages with extended compound word usage.
# Microsoft Windows 8 Compatibility
* With this release we have tested with Windows 8. So far it looks good. We are in the process of going through the official Windows 8 Certification checklist and some minor issues still remain.