Synfig Studio is a free, Open Source 2D vector and timeline-based animation application. You can use Synfig Studio to create feature-film-quality animation, web animations and advertisements. Synfig Studio is a feature rich application that has numerous features including High Dynamic-Range Imaging (HDRI) and artist-oriented design and path-based gradients.
Key Features Include:
- Spatial resolution-independence: Most elements are vector-based and all layers are parametrically generated, hence even when changing the target resolution of a project, the only pixelation will occur in imported raster images, not the built-in components.
- Temporal resolution independence: Animation-keyframes are automatically interpolated by the computer, resulting in smooth motion.
- High Dynamic-Range Imaging: By using floating-point math in the image calculations, HDRI processing allows canvases to internally understand a far greater range of pixel luminance, resulting in better lighting effects, and improved color composition.
- Pentablet-friendly tools: The draw tool already reads the pressure sensitivity channel off your favourite tablets, for natural line weighting, and more to come!
- Artist-oriented design: Synfig has been designed from the ground up with animation workflow in mind.
- Path-based Gradients: Synfig has full support for gradient paths - gradients that follow along a drawn shape. This allows artists to easily add soft shading to animation without the trouble of painting it onto every frame.
- Layers: Synfig supports a multitude of layers of various types; geometric, gradients, filters, distortions, transformations, fractal and a few others.
System requirements: Mac OS X (requires Apple's X11 environment-XQuartz or you can choose to compile and run Synfig Studio using the source code.
Fixed rendering of text with international characters on Windows.
Fixed algorithm of Fast Gaussian Blur, eliminating the random artifacts.
Fixed incorrect rendering of Twirl Layer and Noise Distortion Layer.
Improved performance for complex scenes with more than 1000 vector elements.
Fixed Z-Depth issue for ungroupped layers.
Initial value of quality of Preview now independent from current zoom level and set to 1.0 by default.
Fixed support for graphic tablets in Windows version.
Fixed crash with XP-Pen G540 tablet.
Fixed crash of Skeleton plugin.
Filenames with international characters now correctly remembered in “Recent Files” menu.
Fixed size of dock area drop buttons for Gtk >= 3.20.
Fixed “FFmpeg not found” error in Linux AppImages.
JACK support is now available for Linux AppImages.
Basic support for CMake build system.