Probably the most popular freeware cleaner globally with over 2 billion downloads since its launch in 2003. Piriform’s CCleaner is a quick and easy to use program which makes your computer faster, more secure and more reliable. CCleaner removes cookies, temporary files and various other unused data that clogs up your operating system. This frees up valuable hard disk space allowing your system to run faster. Removing this data also protects your anonymity meaning you can browse online more securely. The built in Registry Cleaner fixes errors and broken settings to make your computer more stable. The simple, intuitive UI and rapid but powerful cleaning make CCleaner a favourite among novices and techies alike. Professional, Network, Business and Technician Editions of CCleaner are also available for serious users.
A Faster Computer
Browsing the internet your computer picks up a whole host of unnecessary files, cookies and history. The same thing happens when you run most programs on your computer – lots of temporary files and settings are saved. CCleaner removes these unused files and settings to free up valuable hard drive space, enabling your system to run faster. The default settings only focus on typical junk files and locations so you’re unlikely to lose important information unless you alter these. A Startup Cleaner also helps you to identify and remove unused programs running in the background when you start your computer. This makes the startup time shorter and puts less strain on your hard drive throughout use. You can read more about startup support here.
Less Crashes & System Errors
If you notice lots of system freezes, error messages and often experience crashes, the chances are your registry become cluttered with unused files and broken settings. CCleaner’s fully featured Registry Cleaner identifies these issues and fixes them. The registry analysis takes seconds and cleaning just a little bit longer. Prompts advise you when to save backups to avoid losing important data.
More Secure Browsing
Advertisers and websites track your behaviour online with cookies. Saved passwords, cached data and internet histories make your identity less secure. CCleaner removes these files to make your browsing experience confidential, meaning you are less likely to suffer from identity theft and/or online fraud. The military grade Drive Wiper ensures any data you want to be permanently deleted, stays deleted.
CCleaner Tools and Options tabs allow you to customise cleaning options to fit your needs. If you are not a savvy user, you might want to stick with the safe default settings. Advanced users can uninstall unwanted programs, select which cookies to save, customise cleaning settings and setup system monitoring.
CCleaner has earned its position at the top of the freeware cleaners offering the sort of features premium programs struggle to compete with. The clean, intuitive UI makes it one of the easiest programs to use, but don’t let its size and simplicity fool you. This is a powerful utility for improving your computers performance. Piriform’s regular update process means CCleaner is constantly improving and its popularity will continue to grow.
- Added support for Windows 7 SP1.
- Added Internet Explorer UserData cleaning and management.
- Added Safari cookie management.
- Improved Google Chrome detection.
- Added Google Chrome JumplistIcons folder cleaning.
- Added Opera Icon Cache folder cleaning.
- Added support for Comodo Dragon.
- Added support for SongBird embedded browser.
- Added support for Thunderbird embedded browser.
- Added Registry cleaner for Sound Events.
- Improved Registry cleaning for Unused File Extensions.
- Improved Registry cleaning for Application Paths.
- Added environment variable support in Custom Locations.
- Command line exporting of embedded INIs (/export [folder path]).
- Added cleaning for Excel Viewer, FeedDemon, WinDiff and Last.FM, Free Download Manager, Internet Download Accelerator and Internet Download Manager.
- Improved cleaning for AntiVir Desktop, AVG AntiVirus 10.0 and Windows Media Player.
- Improved system file detection security.
- Minor bug fixes.