.NET Framework Version 4.0 4.6.1
The .NET Framework is Microsoft's comprehensive and consistent programming model for building applications that have visually stunning user experiences, seamless and secure communication, and the ability to model a range of business processes.
The Microsoft .NET Framework 4 redistributable package installs the .NET Framework runtime and associated files that are required to run and develop applications to target the .NET Framework 4.
The .NET Framework 4 works side by side with older Framework versions. Applications that are based on earlier versions of the Framework will continue to run on the version targeted by default.
.NET Framework 4 includes the following new features and improvements:
- Improvements in CLR and BCL
- Improvements in ADO.NET
- Enhancements to ASP.NET
- Improvements in Windows Presentation Foundation
- Improvements to Windows Workflow Foundation and Windows Communication Foundation
* WPF improvements for spell check, support for per-user custom dictionaries and improved touch performance
* Enhanced support for Elliptic Curve Digital Signature Algorithm (ECDSA) X509 certificates
* Added support in SQL Connectivity for AlwaysOn, Always Encrypted and improved connection open resiliency when connecting to Azure SQL Database
* Azure SQL Database now supports distributed transactions using the updated System.Transactions APIs
* Many other performance, stability, and reliability related fixes in RyuJIT, GC, WPF and WCF.