.NET Framework Version 4.0 4.5
The .NET Framework is Microsoft's comprehensive and consistent programming model for building applications that have visually stunning user experiences, seamless and secure communication, and the ability to model a range of business processes.
The Microsoft .NET Framework 4 redistributable package installs the .NET Framework runtime and associated files that are required to run and develop applications to target the .NET Framework 4.
The .NET Framework 4 works side by side with older Framework versions. Applications that are based on earlier versions of the Framework will continue to run on the version targeted by default.
.NET Framework 4 includes the following new features and improvements:
- Improvements in CLR and BCL
- Improvements in ADO.NET
- Enhancements to ASP.NET
- Improvements in Windows Presentation Foundation
- Improvements to Windows Workflow Foundation and Windows Communication Foundation
- A highly compatible, in-place update to the .NET Framework 4.
- By using together with the C#, Visual Basic, or F# programming language, you can write Windows apps.
- Includes significant language and framework enhancements for C#, Visual Basic, and F# (so that you can more easily write asynchronous code), the blending of control flow in synchronous code, a responsive UI, and web app scalability .
- Adds substantial improvements to other functional areas such as ASP.NET, Managed Extensibility Framework, Windows Communication Foundation, Windows Workflow Foundation, and Windows Identity Foundation.
- Delivers better performance, reliability, and security.