Opera is a secure web browser that is both fast and rich in features. It has a slick interface that embraces a modern, minimalist look, coupled with stacks of tools to make browsing more enjoyable. These include such tools as Speed Dial, which houses your favorites and Opera Turbo mode, which compresses pages to give you quicker navigation, (even when you have a bad connection).
Opera has everything you need to browse the web via a great interface. From startup it offers a Discover page that brings fresh content to you directly; it displays the news you want by topic, country and language. The Speed dial and bookmarks pages are also available to you at launch, which gives you easy access to the sites you use the most and those you've added to your favorite list.
Key features include:
- Sleek interface.
- Download manager.
- Customizable themes.
- Speed dial.
- Private browsing mode.
- Discover provides fresh news content.
Opera provides an integrated search and navigation function, which is a common sight among its other, well known, adversaries. Opera utilizes a single bar for both search and navigation, instead of having two text fields at the top of the screen. This feature obviously keeps the browser window uncluttered, whilst providing you with top functionality.
Opera also includes a download manager, and a private browsing mode that allows you to navigate without leaving a trace. Opera allows you to install an array of extensions too, so you can customize your browser as you see fit. Although the catalog is significantly smaller than more popular browsers' you'll find versions of Adblock Plus, Feedly, and Pinterest.
Opera is a great browser for the modern web. In terms of numbers of users, it is behind Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. However, it is bang up to date with cutting edge technology and remains a strong contender in the browser wars.
Overall, Opera has an excellent design coupled with top performance; it is both simple and practical. The keyboard shortcuts are similar to other browsers, the available options are varied and the Speed Dial interface is pleasant to use. You can also customize Opera with themes and make you browsing experience even more personal. So, if you are thinking of trying something different than your usual browser, Opera could be the choice for you.
# User interface
* The design of the "Fraud Warning" dialog
* Allowing file choosers to be editable in the native UI
* Adding support for enabling/disabling nettype, leaving it enabled by default
* Premature shutdown when using the Mozilla Web Workers demo
* An Application Cache issue when enabling "Work Offline"
* Advanced menu in download tab not appearing for files downloaded to a non-ASCII folder
* End key putting the cursor at beginning of next line instead of end of the current line
* Opera reloading images when going back with History Navigation Mode 3
* Gmail checkboxes looking odd
* Block level elements not creating new lines in pasted text
* Premature shutdown using spatial navigation when two scrollable containers are positioned near each other
* Cache-related premature shutdown when reloading pages
* Incorrect font being used for CJK contents within a page of other language
* File handling when dealing with zip archives
* Search suggestions fixes:
> Search suggestions not working in the address bar when using search keywords
> Default Speed Dial search not being present in many locals
> Search drop-down getting mixed up when deleting a previous search
> Clicking on search suggestions in the Go To dialog dismissing the dialog
* Start bar looking unstyled and text labels not being visible with Windows Native skin
* Premature shutdown on exit after using the download context menu
* HTML5 video and gif animations stop playing when context menu is open
* Not being able to type in file input fields in the user interface
* Text being cut off in the browser identification dropdown in Polish version
* QuAVlive Webm Adaptive HTTP Streaming Demo prematurely shutting down Opera
* Premature shutdown when trying to use Opera Voice
* Opera Unite Messenger application not loading
# Display and scripting
* Serif fonts being used as default in form elements (input, text fields, and buttons)
* Documents (where documentedit has been enabled) stay in memory along with every later document in the tab
* No load event occurring for not-yet-visible images (hp.com slideshow: Main content on hp.com not displaying when "slideshow" starts running)
* IMG x/y not being supported (date picker in wrong location)
* innerHTML not stripping quotes on attributes, and innerHTML not being lowercase
* Image upload to blogger.com appearing to fail
* Page load producing a blank page
* Premature shutdown when rich text editing a page
* Meta refresh without a URL reloading the page
* Premature shudown when performing a normal shutdown procedure
* An issue when printing and print previewing emails
* Large images only rendering up to 5-10%, then nothing until fully loaded
* Yahoo! Mail chat truncating output sent from Opera
* Premature shutdown after inspecting an element with a background attribute
* Background being corrupted when scrolling (large negative text-indent)
* Not all param values being displayed
* Scrolling a page by dragging the scrollbar in print preview stops scrolling when halfway through the document
* Range header not being sent for a redirected (301) URL
* Premature shutdown occurring in the cookie dialog
* Large amount of overflow (in the vertical direction) disabling scrollbars
* XHR (XMLHttpRequest) custom headers not being resent when redirected
* An unclosed, absolutely positioned span freezing Opera if ancestors are relatively positioned, with one of them being an inline-block
* Authentication information not being propagated to Java
* MHTML file with "Content-Encoding:gzip" header causing a premature shutdown
* Popup blocker being circumvented when using JS URL and fake click
* IFRAME height property being ignored in MSR mode if scrolling=no
* Setting the same JS URL as the src of a script element halts its loading
* An active-window event not being sent after a dialog is closed, with focus then switching back to the opener
* A premature shutdown when using inline search
* Incorrect reporting of the offline cache size
* Application cache list not containing unvisited caches after shutdown/restart
* Plug-in fixes:
> New Java plug-in not finding the applet on local pages
> A problem with the Quake Live (and friends) plug-in
> Voddler plug-in scripting issues
> Swedish BankID causing Opera to prematurely shut down (pensionsmyndigheten.se)
> Not being able to click links at dramaten.se: script resumes after inserting a non-plugin object
> Flash not always painting until being forced (YouTube channels)
> Modifying OuterHTML on nested objects with document.onmouseover disables page interaction
> DivX Webplayer plug-in crashing, and then showing a plug-in failed dialog
> An issue with Netflix streaming video
> Premature shutdown when hosting the Microsoft Silverlight plug-in
> Premature shutdown occurring with the unsigned_npgoogletalk.dll
* Application cache quota strategy not working properly
* Not being able to revisit a cached URL
* Page cache deleting application cache URLs
* Hangup being caused by img/float/iframe in a width-restricted element
* Unicode freezing (Wikipedia)
* Form input fields with border-radius and no border being invisible
* Premature shutdown when attempting to load mountpoint URL of file inside a zip file
* Opera freezing when changing src attribute of audio element in event handler for "ended"
* Fast history navigation stops working when document cache reaches half the size of previous problem level
* Premature shutdown when closing a tab with mouse gesture over Flash
* HTML5 video not working without a DirectSound driver
* Premature shutdown when using Web Storage
* Canvas 2D context's font attribute forcing a premature shutdown
* Disabling the Opera Speed Dial search provider is not remembered
* A document being served with an incorrect MIME breaks multistyle/font switch-writing system
* An inline element breaking the layout of inline-blocks (deviantart.com)
* A premature shutdown occuring with WebM
* Transparent Opera Speed Dial dialogs not rendering correctly
# Mail, news, chat
* Prevention of broken searches in mail
- Offline Web Applications fixes
* The list of application caches not containing unvisited domains after a shutdown/restart
* Offline application cache size being incorrectly reported
* Offline application cache being unavailable for panels
* Offline application cache being unavailable for the special Opera Dragonfly window
* Offline "application_cache" not being stored in a temporary location
- Geolocation services fixes
* Adding a mechanism to clear Geolocation preferences
* Corrected several erroneous Geolocation settings
* Checkbox labels in Geolocation Terms and Conditions not being clickable
* "Do you want to share your location" toolbar being displayed even if "remember my choice" was previously selected
* Show the domain rather than URL in the Geolocation toolbar
- Widgets fixes
* Widgets not showing tooltips
* Inconsistent context menu item name; should be "View" instead of "Position"
* Updating the structure of widgets menu
* Wrong ordering of context menus for widgets with image, and for widgets with link
* Implemented validation of certificates used in widget signature using OCSP
* Fixed an issue where double-clicking a link can unexpectedly run a program from the Internet; see our advisory (http://www.opera.com/support/search/view/957/).
* Fixed an issue which could be used to trick users into uploading unexpected files