Opera is a secure web browser that is both fast and rich in features. It has a slick interface that embraces a modern, minimalist look, coupled with stacks of tools to make browsing more enjoyable. These include such tools as Speed Dial, which houses your favorites and Opera Turbo mode, which compresses pages to give you quicker navigation, (even when you have a bad connection).
Opera has everything you need to browse the web via a great interface. From startup it offers a Discover page that brings fresh content to you directly; it displays the news you want by topic, country and language. The Speed dial and bookmarks pages are also available to you at launch, which gives you easy access to the sites you use the most and those you've added to your favorite list.
Key features include:
- Sleek interface.
- Download manager.
- Customizable themes.
- Speed dial.
- Private browsing mode.
- Discover provides fresh news content.
Opera provides an integrated search and navigation function, which is a common sight among its other, well known, adversaries. Opera utilizes a single bar for both search and navigation, instead of having two text fields at the top of the screen. This feature obviously keeps the browser window uncluttered, whilst providing you with top functionality.
Opera also includes a download manager, and a private browsing mode that allows you to navigate without leaving a trace. Opera allows you to install an array of extensions too, so you can customize your browser as you see fit. Although the catalog is significantly smaller than more popular browsers' you'll find versions of Adblock Plus, Feedly, and Pinterest.
Opera is a great browser for the modern web. In terms of numbers of users, it is behind Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. However, it is bang up to date with cutting edge technology and remains a strong contender in the browser wars.
Overall, Opera has an excellent design coupled with top performance; it is both simple and practical. The keyboard shortcuts are similar to other browsers, the available options are varied and the Speed Dial interface is pleasant to use. You can also customize Opera with themes and make you browsing experience even more personal. So, if you are thinking of trying something different than your usual browser, Opera could be the choice for you.
# User interface
- Download acceleration software compatibility (user option); integrates a user's favorite download acceleration software with Opera
> Check box activation located at: opera:config#UserPrefs|UseExternalDownloadManager
- A keyboard shortcut for new private windows: Ctrl+Shift+N
- Support for View Modes through the W3C Widgets Module API:
> See: W3C Widgets 1.0: View Modes Media Feature (http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets-vmmf/)
- Created a visual design to distinguish between private and non-private windows
- Removed hardcoded icons from HTML5 <input> elements
- Skins can now specify the system color scheme as default
- Changed the private mode icon in the context menu
- Translations have been updated in Opera Unite applications
- A white line appearing between a maximized Opera window and the Vista/Windows 7 taskbar
- Closing tabs from the Task bar leaving a ghost tab in the Task bar list
- Opera Link only partially synchronizing data (bookmarks)
- A problem when restarting Opera with "Manage bookmarks" and one or more tabs open
- Windows Media Player plug-in not initializing
- An issue when enabling the print preview option
- Data loss occuring when shutting down the computer while Opera is still closing
- Context menus not appearing in source view
- A problem when opening a private tab
- Only part of a page being visible with Aero Peek after zooming in
- A problem when correcting spelling with the keyboard in single-line form fields
- Several tab-modal dialog problems
- Minimized tabs not resizing to window when activated
- Minimized tabs not displaying after restart
- Popups being dragged out and not being able to be brought back in
- Non-modal dialogs disappearing into the browser chrome
- Pop-up windows not being skinnable
- Gmail not working in private browsing mode
- A problem setting an image on a Web page as a Speed Dial background via the context menu
- Switching the color scheme from "Windows Aero" to "Windows Vista Basic" and back again corrupts title bar
- A scrolling issue which freezes the user interface
- Opera Turbo not working correctly
- An issue with "Find in page" search if search string starts with a space
- Several issues with Adobe Shockwave
# Display and scripting
- Video seeking
> Now possible to seek through videos that are not completely downloaded
> When skipping forward, unwanted sections will not be downloaded
> See: W3C section 4.8.7 The video element (http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/video.html)
- The DEP (Data Execution Prevention) message
- An issue when disconnecting from Opera Dragonfly remote debug mode
- A problem when embedding with SVG content
- Uninitialized data being displayed when using content blocking
- Several issues with Microsoft Silverlight
- An issue with WinXP toolbar integration
- A potential memory leak in context menus
- An issue with User JS and Browser JS
# Mail, news, chat
- Support for localized webfeeds and webmail providers
- Absense of context menus for the fields: To, CC, Subject, etc.
- Attachments being displayed multiple times after deleting mail
- Occasionally opening mails in new windows shows a blank mail window
- An issue when replying to an e-mail
- A problem when double-clicking on "Sent" mail
- <video> seeking using HTTP byte range requests
> Created HTTP range based cache subsystem to support <audio> and <video>
- Various issues with Opera Widgets
- A firewall alert occurring when starting Opera on Windows 7
- Fixed vulnerability in Renegotiation feature of the TLS protocol
> See our advisory (http://www.opera.com/support/search/view/944/)
> See our Opera Security blog article (http://my.opera.com/securitygroup/blog/2010/01/23/alpha-testing-tls-renego-fix)
^ For your reference, this security fix was implemented in the Opera 10.50 (with Opera Widgets for Desktop) beta 1 for Windows.
- Fixed a moderately severe security issue.