Opera 10.10 Beta 1 (B 1833)
Opera is a secure web browser that is both fast and rich in features. It has a slick interface that embraces a modern, minimalist look, coupled with stacks of tools to make browsing more enjoyable. These include such tools as Speed Dial, which houses your favorites and Opera Turbo mode, which compresses pages to give you quicker navigation, (even when you have a bad connection).
Opera has everything you need to browse the web via a great interface. From startup it offers a Discover page that brings fresh content to you directly; it displays the news you want by topic, country and language. The Speed dial and bookmarks pages are also available to you at launch, which gives you easy access to the sites you use the most and those you've added to your favorite list.
Key features include:
- Sleek interface.
- Download manager.
- Customizable themes.
- Speed dial.
- Private browsing mode.
- Discover provides fresh news content.
Opera provides an integrated search and navigation function, which is a common sight among its other, well known, adversaries. Opera utilizes a single bar for both search and navigation, instead of having two text fields at the top of the screen. This feature obviously keeps the browser window uncluttered, whilst providing you with top functionality.
Opera also includes a download manager, and a private browsing mode that allows you to navigate without leaving a trace. Opera allows you to install an array of extensions too, so you can customize your browser as you see fit. Although the catalog is significantly smaller than more popular browsers' you'll find versions of Adblock Plus, Feedly, and Pinterest.
Opera is a great browser for the modern web. In terms of numbers of users, it is behind Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. However, it is bang up to date with cutting edge technology and remains a strong contender in the browser wars.
Overall, Opera has an excellent design coupled with top performance; it is both simple and practical. The keyboard shortcuts are similar to other browsers, the available options are varied and the Speed Dial interface is pleasant to use. You can also customize Opera with themes and make you browsing experience even more personal. So, if you are thinking of trying something different than your usual browser, Opera could be the choice for you.
* Opera Unite Messenger application to initial Opera Unite applications
* Access to <img /> attribute longdesc="..." URLs via an "Image Description" context menu item
- Enables opening long descriptions of images marked up with longdesc attributes
* Opera Portal as feed provider
* New dialog box for "Advanced Settings" providing more options for:
- Setting UPnP and alternate ports
- Upload speed
- Application visibility (hiding your applications from search engines or other Opera Unite application pages)
* Disallow search engines to index Opera Unite by default
* Disabled advanced settings button if "disabled" is selected
* All Opera Unite applications now use the new Yusef library
* Opera Unite attention state identifier (brown dot): appears in the Opera Unite icon (on the status bar) when new Opera Unite users join the local network
* Support for discovered devices
* Invalid Opera Unite device names are no longer saved
* Implemented better Opera Unite application deletion control
* Moving an Opera Unite application to Trash now warns about stopping the application
* Special characters no longer allowed to be set as the address for an Opera Unite application
* Opera Unite status dialog box is now available from the Opera Unite icon menu
* UPnP service discovery defaults to a state of "on"
* "Remember my password" now enabled by default in Login dialog box
* Global visibility options not being saved when enabling Opera Unite
* Advanced settings are now disabled when choosing to upgrade an application
* Enhanced local application discovery
* Separate error console messages for Opera Link and Opera Unite
* Time interval for the default Opera update check
* Changed the Systray icon to show an Opera Unite notification icon
* Changed the Opera Unite attention icon
* Naming of Opera Unite "services" to Opera Unite "applications"
* Removed "Do you want to start Unite now?" dialog when you first click on a Unite application
* Starting Opera Unite Home
* 'Empty Trash' action in Opera Unite is now disabled when Trash is empty
* Opera Unite panel to open when an application is installed in all cases
* Setting a shared Opera Unite image as a Speed Dial background
* Ensured that Opera Unite applications cannot manage each other
* Problems when running multiple instances of the same Opera Unite application
* Application deletion warning showing after dragging an Opera Unite application to Trash
* Removed the "Ok" button from the Opera Unite download dialog box
* Local cookies not being listed in site preferences cookie tab
* Storing the username even though password is not stored
* Logging out and logging in with a different username
* The "Restart Opera Unite" option in startup dialog
* Remember password not being enabled by default
* An application description tooltip showing in the panel
* Opera Unite status dialog losing the status text selection on status update
* Adding the device name to an error message
* Starting an Opera Unite application when Opera Unite is not running
* Issues with the Opera Unite Home, Media Player, and Photo Sharing applications
* Activity feeds for improved Opera Unite Fridge application usability
* Upgrade from an Opera build without Opera Unite to a build with Opera Unite not adding the Opera Unite status icon
* Issue when upgrading from an older Opera Unite build
* Multiple dialogs showing when deleting several Opera Unite applications
* Opera Link and Opera Unite buttons being duplicated in a customized toolbar
* Speed shortcut not working when number of the last Speed Dial slot is entered in the Address bar
* Enabling Opera Turbo for the first time not showing the Opera Turbo information page
* The attention state indicator in Opera Unite not updating
* Synchronizing more than 9 Speed Dials
* Problem when trying to open a .pdf file
* Problem when selecting "Search in Web" from the Address Bar
* Opera Unite problem when closing Opera
* Custom changes to operaprefs not included when upgrading from an Opera version older than Opera 10
* Issue when dragging an Opera Unite application into a folder
* Sometimes not using the specificed device name from opera:config
* Opera Unite not opening when starting for the first time
* Double-clicking an application in the Opera Unite panel opens a new tab
* Installing a local Opera Unite application "moves" the archive instead of it being "copied"
* Several BitTorrent issues
* Panel Bar opening as default when starting Opera for the first time
* Speed Dial configuration issue
* Minimizing the Opera Autoupdate dialog box when the Status Bar is disabled
* Problem viewing SVG source markup
* Issue when updating a Speed Dial entry while "Work Offline" is enabled
* Issue when clicking "Download and install" in Opera Autoupdate dialog box
* Problem when opening a downloaded Widget
* List of closed tabs not being shown without numerous clicks
Mail, News, Chat
* New mail.ru mailto URL with utf-8 support
* New style for "no message selected"
* Signature handling
* E-mails appearing in different views
* Viewing sent IMAP messages creating draft copies in 'List only' display mode
* E-mail address corruption when no space is placed after quote or name
* Issue when adding an attachement
* Automatic re-joining of channels
* Zoom box in the e-mail compose page
* Seeing which mail is selected when focus is placed on the mail body
* Some encoding problems in the Opera Mail error dialog box
* F2 dialog in Opera Mail view opens page in a background tab
* Styling of "No message selected"
Display and scripting
* The new Web Fonts API
* New preference for enabling and disabling UPnP service discovery
* Implemented sharedPath() and unsharePath() in the DOM
* Issue causing the simultaneous opening of multiple pop-ups
* UPnP service discovery event handling
* Enabling UPnP service discovery by default
* Disabled devices not being removed from discovered devices list during UPnP service discovery
* Downloadable webfont in page being used to render browser chrome/user interface
* Private key authentication for UPnP service discovery
* Visibility of Opera Unite users on a local network
* Reconnection to proxy after stopping and starting Opera Unite
* Setting an "OK" status on proxy reconnect
* Web Server application issue when UPnP service is disabled
* Preventing every device but the first to notify the correct opened port to the proxy
* Ensured that cookies are sent when connecting directly to a Unite service
* Windows firewall exception not being created for Opera Unite Web Server application
* Opera not connecting to proxy if the router does not respond to UPnP M-SEARCH
* Added further updates from the translators
* Enabled detection of IP changes
* UPnP service discovery
* Changed default installation path for Opera 10.10
* Rejection of Applications with servicepath starting in "_"
* In Yandex, incorrect spelling of search engine name in Russian, Ukrainian
* Issue of 100% CPU usage fixed by preventing and avoiding the filling up of message loop
* Version information copyright string