Opera 10.0 Beta (B 1551)
Opera is a secure web browser that is both fast and rich in features. It has a slick interface that embraces a modern, minimalist look, coupled with stacks of tools to make browsing more enjoyable. These include such tools as Speed Dial, which houses your favorites and Opera Turbo mode, which compresses pages to give you quicker navigation, (even when you have a bad connection).
Opera has everything you need to browse the web via a great interface. From startup it offers a Discover page that brings fresh content to you directly; it displays the news you want by topic, country and language. The Speed dial and bookmarks pages are also available to you at launch, which gives you easy access to the sites you use the most and those you've added to your favorite list.
Key features include:
- Sleek interface.
- Download manager.
- Customizable themes.
- Speed dial.
- Private browsing mode.
- Discover provides fresh news content.
Opera provides an integrated search and navigation function, which is a common sight among its other, well known, adversaries. Opera utilizes a single bar for both search and navigation, instead of having two text fields at the top of the screen. This feature obviously keeps the browser window uncluttered, whilst providing you with top functionality.
Opera also includes a download manager, and a private browsing mode that allows you to navigate without leaving a trace. Opera allows you to install an array of extensions too, so you can customize your browser as you see fit. Although the catalog is significantly smaller than more popular browsers' you'll find versions of Adblock Plus, Feedly, and Pinterest.
Opera is a great browser for the modern web. In terms of numbers of users, it is behind Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. However, it is bang up to date with cutting edge technology and remains a strong contender in the browser wars.
Overall, Opera has an excellent design coupled with top performance; it is both simple and practical. The keyboard shortcuts are similar to other browsers, the available options are varied and the Speed Dial interface is pleasant to use. You can also customize Opera with themes and make you browsing experience even more personal. So, if you are thinking of trying something different than your usual browser, Opera could be the choice for you.
New and Improved features
* Opera auto update (New)
* Opera crashlogging tool (New)
* Opera Dragonfly (Improved)
* Opera inline spelling checker (New)
* Opera Mail
- Rich Text Message Composition â€” HTML authoring (New)
- Delete After X Days â€” POP-only (New)
* Opera Presto 2.2 rendering engine (Improved)
* Opera regular expression engine (Improved)
* Opera Turbo (New)
* Opera User Interface
- Opera skin elements (New)
- Opera Speed Dial configuration options (New)
- Opera Tab Bar thumbnails (New)
- Opera "pretty-printing" of unstyled XML (New)
Web specifications support
* Opera 10 Beta scores 100/100, pixel perfect on the Acid3 compliance test; see our Opera reference.
CSS (Cascading Style Sheets)
* Support for the CSS3 color:transparent value has been improved.
* Full RGBA and HSLA opacity support is now included for an easier way to make Web page features transparent. This is accomplished by the addition of a fourth argument to HSL and RGB, namely alpha transparency and results in RGBA and HSLA values. See this Opera reference.
* Support has been added for the CSS Selectors API. This feature makes the selection of DOM elements a lot simpler. It includes partial support for namespace resolver features which allow you to work with mixed namespace documents and select elements based on their namespace; see this Opera reference.
* CSS files must now be served with the correct MIME type ("text/css") in Strict mode, or they will be ignored.
HTML 5 support
* HTML 5 algorithms have been implemented for detecting charsets in HTML.
* HTML 5 end-tag and start-tag parsing, whitespace parsing, and DOCTYPE parsing have been added.
* HTML 5