Opera 11.60 Beta 1 (B 1147)
Opera is a secure web browser that is both fast and rich in features. It has a slick interface that embraces a modern, minimalist look, coupled with stacks of tools to make browsing more enjoyable. These include such tools as Speed Dial, which houses your favorites and Opera Turbo mode, which compresses pages to give you quicker navigation, (even when you have a bad connection).
Opera has everything you need to browse the web via a great interface. From startup it offers a Discover page that brings fresh content to you directly; it displays the news you want by topic, country and language. The Speed dial and bookmarks pages are also available to you at launch, which gives you easy access to the sites you use the most and those you've added to your favorite list.
Key features include:
- Sleek interface.
- Download manager.
- Customizable themes.
- Speed dial.
- Private browsing mode.
- Discover provides fresh news content.
Opera provides an integrated search and navigation function, which is a common sight among its other, well known, adversaries. Opera utilizes a single bar for both search and navigation, instead of having two text fields at the top of the screen. This feature obviously keeps the browser window uncluttered, whilst providing you with top functionality.
Opera also includes a download manager, and a private browsing mode that allows you to navigate without leaving a trace. Opera allows you to install an array of extensions too, so you can customize your browser as you see fit. Although the catalog is significantly smaller than more popular browsers' you'll find versions of Adblock Plus, Feedly, and Pinterest.
Opera is a great browser for the modern web. In terms of numbers of users, it is behind Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. However, it is bang up to date with cutting edge technology and remains a strong contender in the browser wars.
Overall, Opera has an excellent design coupled with top performance; it is both simple and practical. The keyboard shortcuts are similar to other browsers, the available options are varied and the Speed Dial interface is pleasant to use. You can also customize Opera with themes and make you browsing experience even more personal. So, if you are thinking of trying something different than your usual browser, Opera could be the choice for you.
# User interface
- Additional refinement of the featherweight skin
- Improved Opera skin installation
- Improved plug-in install wizard
- Add icon in the address field to enable all plug-ins on the page when using "Enable plug-ins only on demand"
- New Add to Panel dialog to replace the old Bookmarks dialog
- Updated Hunspell component to 1.3.1
- Various auto-update fixes
- Lock button in the Links panel cannot be unlocked
- No search suggestions in private tabs
- Do not show search suggestions when an address is being entered
- Do not show search suggestion from default search engine for search engines without suggestion support
- Manually stopping Link should completely "unlink" the client from the synchronization process
- Dragging address badge to address or search field replaces page address with page's meta description
- Intranet hosts not remembered in opera:config#UserPrefs|IntranetHosts and info bar does not go away on first click
- Show user where the extension installs
- Easier reload of extensions in developer mode
- Pulling config.xml into Opera should open extension manager in developer mode
- Provide an option to not close the extension pop-up after it loses focus.
- Unable to re-download file to same download location if an entry for the previous download still exists in transfers manager
- Thumbnails are omitted while cycling Speed Dials with the Tab key
- Add an animation when resizing window to change number of columns
- Add an animation when undoing Speed Dial move/swap
- Selecting text in address field with long URLs does not select parameters
- Excel file not attached if open in OpenOffice.org at the same time
- The title in IRC channels is taken from the active window
- Storage dialog lists volatile storage
- Opera Link settings always shows Speed Dial Sync status from Opera startup value
- Use master password option does not always ask for authentication when repeatedly changing the option
- Extensions are launched even if set not to do so
- Enable "Limit chat notification to personal messages" on all platforms, and set default value to on
- Clear Private Data: Close tabs only affects the active window
- Speed Dial URLs are added to address bar drop-down
- Custom title not synchronized over link
- Widget upgrade via main menu stalls
- Widgets without a <name> are treated as invalid
- No longer possible to open O-Menu by clicking and holding mouse button
- Tab and Page bar items are inconsistent when performing a pin tab action
- Tab group expander missing or broken
# Display and scripting
- CARAKAN: Better performance and memory use
- Integrated new IDNA specification
- Updated to Unicode 6.0.0 specification
- Added the possibility of profiling ECMAScript thread evaluation and CSS selector matching: this will be used in future version of Dragonfly
- Bypass XML parsing failed message by automatically reparsing as HTML
- Image resampling should be controllable with CSS
- Fixed numerous layout issues with RTL text
- Initialization of SVG DOM objects different from what the SVG 1.1 second edition mandates
- Transitions are invoked on load / refresh: BeforeCSS causes asynchronous CSS loading
- Parsing web font as HTML causes major loss in performance and eventually crash
- capture argument for addEventListener() and removeEventListener() should default to false
- Opera does not fire events for empty scripts
- Value of JSON.stringify with single digit argument is not equal to equivalent string literal
- My Places pop-up in Google Maps cannot be closed, preventing use of Google Map Directions
- Clicking on Google+ tab (top left corner) results in page that is never finished loading (history.replaceState)
- XMLHttpRequest can not POST data that consists of plain literal numbers only
- string.replace with number reference returns a wrong string
- querySelectorAll does not throw exception on unknown pseudo-class
- inline-block has maximum height of 2^15 (The Google Maps Api Reference)
- Printing in Gmail freezes Opera
- WebP images loaded through Turbo are not drawn if they are within the visible part of the content at load
# Mail, news, chat
- Two-lined message list
- New message display window
- Message layout optimized for wide screens by not using whole width
- New overlay dialogs for the mail view settings
- Message grouping
- Support for Pinning, mapped to IMAP \Flagged
- Quick Reply redesign
- Ctrl-Enter to send quick reply
- Added support for QRESYNC - efficient IMAP sync
- You can now change the global/default sorting and threading for mail (but still have a custom sorting for individual views)
- Styling of feed items has been updated
- Mail database files will be much less fragmented over time
- Improved mail database stability with grouped journaling
- Message displayed even though no message selected
- Show image enclosures inline in feeds
- Paste with mouse in Mail Compose window is mouse position dependant
- Enable Fit to Width for Opera Mail
- Show account connection status in mail panel
- Unread in Mail panel returns after a restart
- Messages in INBOX are not fetched before the folder is selected on Gmail accounts
- All mail redownloads when there are more than 5000 indexes
- After deleting a block of mail, selected message is not next to the selected block
- Remove [x] from loading database progress bar
- Need to mark message as read twice before it is read
- Expunged messages in other clients are not expunged in Opera Mail
- Broken progress bar skin with windows native skin
- Occasional Crash on marking email messages as "Not Spam"
- Mail in IMAP sent folder not marked as sent
- Different mail tabs turn the same when Opera restarted
- Fixed sorting of incoming mails, news and feeds
- Opera can crash after removing a mail account
- Update mailproviders.xml for iCloud
- With Dovecot 1.0 and Exchange servers, moving message to another IMAP folder leaves copy in source folder stuck in the database
- Opera mail IMAP keeps sending STATUS "" to check for new mails
- Drag and drop to an IMAP folder should now move mails not copy if from the same account
- Opera Turbo slow network notification is triggered even for high speed connections
- Proxy auto configuration does not work
- DSK-339862 (Implement the command-line switch -pd on Mac and Win the same way it is on Linux/FreeBSD)
- Make the Windows Installer able to continue after non fatal errors
- Cancelling uninstall triggers Windows compatibility assistant in Vista
- Right clicking and pasting into UI fields when they are not focused yields ghost text
- Improve performance of the extensions manager