Top Developer (awarded 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2015) and many years "Editors Choice"
Chess Free is the best free Chess game on Android. For years it has been top ranked among the 600+ chess apps listed! Its first class tutor makes it great for both developing Chess Strategy and improving your chess skills.
Completely free! This is not a demo, and has no locked options.
• NEW: Now displays the chess line you are in e.g. Queen's Gambit
• 12 play levels (Novice->Expert) This uses intelligent weakening for lower levels. Good for beginners.
• Casual and Pro modes. Learn on Casual and progress to Pro.
• Chess Tutor. This powerful option shows a recommended piece to move, excellent for developing chess strategy and avoiding simple mistakes.
• Analyse move. Perform deeper analysis on your move.
• “Show CPU Thinking” option for level 3+. Allows the user to see what the AI is considering.
• Achievements and Leaderboards! Uses your Google Play Games account.
• Provides ELO Rating based on your results against CPU in Pro Mode.
• Review game mode. Step through your game!
• Load/Save game files & PGN Export
• Designed for both Tablet and Phone, supporting Landscape mode for all Tablets and many Phones too.
• 2 player hot-seat and online. Play against your friends!!
• Chess Stats, Timers, Hints and Handicaps
• Choose between a large selection of 2D and 3D boards and piece sets!
• Uses Treebeard Chess engine (as used in Microsoft's MSN Chess). This has a unique "human-like" style.
This free version is supported by 3rd party ads. Ads may use internet connectivity, and therefore subsequent data charges may apply. The photos/media/files permission is required to allow the game to save game data to external storage, and is sometimes used to cache ads.
Download the best Chess for Android now!