Scribus is a free DTP app, which gives you a useful variety of tools with which you can complete all manner of various projects. It comes packed with preloaded templates or you can create your own document from scratch.
The template options are varied and professional looking. Whether you're creating brochures, business cards, newsletters, PDF presentations or posters, you have several templates to choose from.
The interface is easy to get to grips with; simply choose a template and start working. All the main tools that you will need are efficiently arranged across the top of the doc window. There are some measurement markings on all sides of the window that enable you to check your formatting and alignment with a quick glance.
The app also comes with a lot of support options to help you get the best results from your work. There is an enthusiastic and friendly community around Scribus that assists beginner and pro alike, via the mailing list, IRC channel, wiki, contracted support, and the bug-tracker.
Overall, Scribus gives you a fluid and efficient way to create all kinds of documents. It supports professional features, such as CMYK color, spot color, separations, ICC color and robust commercial grade PDF.
* Most Important Changes
- PDF/X-1a export.
- The Barcode plug-in has been updated to reflect the latest changes in the underlying Barcode Writer in Pure PostScript (BWIPP).
- The Autoquote script has been rewritten and enhanced. It now provides more options and adds thin spaces to French texts where appropriate.
- A script to align images in frames has been added.
- Full support of the OpenICC Directory Proposal
- The handling of transparencies in Photoshop-generated TIFF files has been improved.
- Page borders can now act as guides (and thus be used for snapping of items).
- The CMYK color palette created by the Newspaper Association of America (NAA) for newspaper advertisements has been integrated into Scribus.
- A new color palette for professional geographers has been added.
- Export to various bitmap formats has been re-enabled on Mac OS X.
- Several issues related to the user interface and canvas display have been resolved.
- Adjustments for Windows 8.x.
- An issue with the spellchecker, resulting in a crash, has been resolved.
- Documentation and translation updates and improvements.