Blender is an integrated application that enables the creation of a broad range of 2D and 3D content. Blender provides a broad spectrum of modeling, texturing, lighting, animation and video post-processing functionality in one package. Through it's open architecture, Blender provides cross-platform interoperability, extensibility, an incredibly small footprint, and a tightly integrated workflow. Blender is one of the most popular Open Source 3D graphics application in the world.
- Fully integrated creation suite, offering a broad range of essential tools for the creation of 3D content, including modeling, uv-mapping, texturing, rigging, skinning, animation, particle and other simulation, scripting, rendering, compositing, post-production, and game creation;
- Cross platform, with OpenGL uniform GUI on all platforms, ready to use for all versions of Windows (98, NT, 2000, XP), Linux, OS X, FreeBSD, Irix, Sun and numerous other operating systems;
- High quality 3D architecture enabling fast and efficient creation work-flow;
- More than 200,000 downloads of each release (users) worldwide;
- User community support by forums for questions, answers, and critique at http://BlenderArtists.org and news services at http://BlenderNation.com;
- Small executable size, easy distribution.
* Freestyle is a new non-photorealistic (NPR) rendering engine integrated
# Paint System
* The stroke system and brush texture access has been unified and as a result there are many more tools now shared across paint modes.
# Motion Tracker
* Camera and object motion solver motion are much more accurate and faster because the Ceres library is used now for the bundle adjustment step. In addition the tripod solver is finally fixed and has become usable for longer footage.
* Added border for compositor viewer node, which restricts what is to be composited for faster previews. Also border rendering and cropping are finally working as expected.
# 3D Printing
* An addon to help with 3d printing is now bundled as well as a new ruler tool and mesh-analysis display attributes such as thickness, sharp-areas and distortion.
# Node Editor
* Node Groups editing is less cluttered and more consistent with other nodes. Multiple node editor windows can be used independently.
# Cycles Render
* A Subsurface Scattering shader is now available, to create materials such as Wax, Marble or Skin.
# Python Nodes
* The API now supports custom node types. Nodes can be defined and registered in python scripts like other UI classes.
* New mesh modeling tools: Individual Face Inset, Poke Face and Knife Project. Faster image display in the image and movie clip editors. Better support for UTF-8 text in the text and console editors, and various improvements to other editors.
* New addons are the node efficiency tools and VRML2 export.
# Bug fixes