TightVNC is a free remote control software package derived from the popular VNC software. With TightVNC, you can see the desktop of a remote machine and control it with your local mouse and keyboard, just like you would do it sitting in the front of that computer.
TightVNC can be used to perform remote control and administration tasks in Windows, Unix and mixed network environments. It can be very helpful in distance learning and remote customer support.
TightVNC provides these features which are otherwise absent in standard VNC:
- File transfers in versions for Windows.
- Support for video mirror driver (Windows 2000 and above).
- Scaling of the remote desktop (viewer for Windows and Java viewer).
- Efficient "Tight" encoding with optional JPEG compression.
- Enhanced Web browser access.
- Support for two passwords, full-control and read-only.
* Server for Windows
- Fixed an issue on connection to a server from a built-in remote desktop client on Mac.
- You can safely change screen properties (resolution, etc.) on the server running on Windows.
- No more bad desktop size issues if the server is running on Windows 7 (SP1) or Windows Server 2008 (SP1) while there are no drivers installed. A server can be run on a virtual machine as well.
- Added more verbose logging (when a logging level is set to 9).
- Improved performance when the remote desktop is shown in its original size. Moreover, the image quality is now improved in case pixel-size checkerboard patterns are used.
- Optimized Tight encoding to work faster.
- Increased speed of ZRLE encoding up to 25%.
* Java Viewer
- Fixed a compatibility issue with non-TightVNC servers (Mac remote desktop, UltraVNC) when ZRLE encoding is used.
- Optimized memory usage when Tight or ZRLE encoding is used.