PostgreSQL is a powerful, open source object-relational database system. It has more than 15 years of active development and a proven architecture that has earned it a strong reputation for reliability, data integrity, and correctness.
It is fully ACID compliant, has full support for foreign keys, joins, views, triggers, and stored procedures (in multiple languages). It includes most SQL:2008 data types, including INTEGER, NUMERIC, BOOLEAN, CHAR, VARCHAR, DATE, INTERVAL, and TIMESTAMP.
# Major enhancements include:
* Parallel execution of sequential scans, joins and aggregates.
* Avoid scanning pages unnecessarily during vacuum freeze operations.
* Synchronous replication now allows multiple standby servers for increased reliability.
* Full-text search can now search for phrases (multiple adjacent words).
* postgres_fdw now supports remote joins, sorts, UPDATEs, and DELETEs.
* Substantial performance improvements, especially in the area of scalability on multi-CPU-socket servers.