It has many capabilities. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert quality photo retouching program, an online batch processing system, a mass production image renderer, an image format converter, etc.
- Full suite of painting tools including brushes, a pencil, an airbrush, cloning, etc.
- Tile-based memory management so image size is limited only by available disk space
- Sub-pixel sampling for all paint tools for high-quality anti-aliasing
- Full Alpha channel support
- Layers and channels
- A procedural database for calling internal GIMP functions from external programs, such as Script-Fu
- Advanced scripting capabilities
- Multiple undo/redo (limited only by disk space)
- Transformation tools including rotate, scale, shear and flip
- File formats supported include GIF, JPEG, PNG, XPM, TIFF, TGA, MPEG, PS, PDF, PCX, BMP and many others
- Selection tools including rectangle, ellipse, free, fuzzy, bezier and intelligent
- Plug-ins that allow for the easy addition of new file formats and new effect filters
Improve drawing performance in single window mode, especially with pixmap themes.
Make the launcher script also set BABL_PATH.
Add patch for GTK+ Bug 743717 to the build which concerns crashes during clipboard operations with a clipboard manager active.
Add patch for GTK+ Bug 767091 to the build which concerns crashes on some drag & drop operations.
Generate OSX package metadata during build.
Fix for CVE-2007-3126, a bug in the ICO plug-in which allowed context-dependent attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) via an ICO file with an InfoHeader containing a Height of zero. We couldn't reproduce any crash in recent version, but fixed the error messages for good measure.
Avoid creating wrong layer group structure when importing PSD files (already fixed in 2.8.20, didn't make it to the NEWS).
Prevent a crash in PDF plug-in if images or resolution are large.
stop parsing invalid PCX files early and prevent a segmentation fault.
If NOCONFIGURE is set, autogen.sh won't run configure.
VPATH builds for win32 targets have been fixed.