Synfig Studio is a free, Open Source 2D vector and timeline-based animation application. You can use Synfig Studio to create feature-film-quality animation, web animations and advertisements. Synfig Studio is a feature rich application that has numerous features including High Dynamic-Range Imaging (HDRI) and artist-oriented design and path-based gradients.
Key Features Include:
- Spatial resolution-independence: Most elements are vector-based and all layers are parametrically generated, hence even when changing the target resolution of a project, the only pixelation will occur in imported raster images, not the built-in components.
- Temporal resolution independence: Animation-keyframes are automatically interpolated by the computer, resulting in smooth motion.
- High Dynamic-Range Imaging: By using floating-point math in the image calculations, HDRI processing allows canvases to internally understand a far greater range of pixel luminance, resulting in better lighting effects, and improved color composition.
- Pentablet-friendly tools: The draw tool already reads the pressure sensitivity channel off your favourite tablets, for natural line weighting, and more to come!
- Artist-oriented design: Synfig has been designed from the ground up with animation workflow in mind.
- Path-based Gradients: Synfig has full support for gradient paths - gradients that follow along a drawn shape. This allows artists to easily add soft shading to animation without the trouble of painting it onto every frame.
- Layers: Synfig supports a multitude of layers of various types; geometric, gradients, filters, distortions, transformations, fractal and a few others.
System requirements: Mac OS X (requires Apple's X11 environment-XQuartz or you can choose to compile and run Synfig Studio using the source code.