jEdit for Mac is a programmer's text editor written in Java. It uses the Swing toolkit for the GUI and can be configured as a rather powerful IDE through the use of its plugin architecture.
Key features include:
- Written in Java: runs on Mac OS X, Unix, VMS and Windows.
- Built-in macro language; extensible plugin architecture.
- jEdit plugin manager supports downloading and installation of hundreds of plugins.
- Auto indent, and syntax highlighting for more than 200 languages.
- Supports a large number of character encodings including UTF8 and Unicode.
- Folding for selectively hiding regions of text.
- Word wrap.
- Highly customizable.
jEdit for Mac has stacks of features, is really easy to use, and it is highly configurable. Coupled with extensive language and plugin support, makes this editor one to certainly try.