The GIMP 2.8.20
It has many capabilities. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert quality photo retouching program, an online batch processing system, a mass production image renderer, an image format converter, etc.
- Full suite of painting tools including brushes, a pencil, an airbrush, cloning, etc.
- Tile-based memory management so image size is limited only by available disk space
- Sub-pixel sampling for all paint tools for high-quality anti-aliasing
- Full Alpha channel support
- Layers and channels
- A procedural database for calling internal GIMP functions from external programs, such as Script-Fu
- Advanced scripting capabilities
- Multiple undo/redo (limited only by disk space)
- Transformation tools including rotate, scale, shear and flip
- File formats supported include GIF, JPEG, PNG, XPM, TIFF, TGA, MPEG, PS, PDF, PCX, BMP and many others
- Selection tools including rectangle, ellipse, free, fuzzy, bezier and intelligent
- Plug-ins that allow for the easy addition of new file formats and new effect filters
- Avoid D-Bus error message when built without D-Bus support.
- fix OS X min required conditional in gimpimagewindow.c.
- Saving to existing .xcf.bz and .xcf.gz files didn't truncate them and could lead to unnecessarily large files.
- Text layer created by gimp-text-fontname doesn't respect border when resized.
- avoid seeking when saving XCF files to prevent corruption with file network shares (fixed since 2014, but not mentioned in NEWS yet).
- Flow on Paint Dynamics editor dialog: the 'y' axis is indicating 'Rate' instead 'Flow'.
- Vertical ruler shows artifacts if the status bar isn't showing.
- Tablet stylus misbehaves when crossing the edge of a dock in multi-window-mode.
- Disable the new "automatic window tabbing" feature introduced on macOS Sierra.
- Improve the visiblity of slider handles with dark themes.
- Make it harder to switch to renaming if selecting already selected items in resource lists.
- make toggling to color picker mode of paint tools more robust.
- call gimp_file_entry_set_filename() with filename encoding.
# Windows Installer:
- Reduce the memory requirement when running the installer (has already been shipped in a 2.8.18 installer-only update).
- Ship an updated libcairo to fix GTK+ UI rendering problems, like missing palette border/bevel and shadowa under tab labels.
# macOS DMG:
- Ship the Tango icon theme with the DMG for a complete set of icons.
- fix the way mime data is copied into the bundle.
- no longer copy Pango modules into the bundle.
- prevent a crash caused by drag&drop on OSX by patching the included GTK+.
- ship a patch for gettext to make sure the preferred UI language will be used.
- Prevent the Python console from closing by the Escape key.
- Help browser does not launch on OS X.
- Filter 'Edge Detect/Difference of Gaussians' returns empty image.
- only use -xobjective-c for compile commands.
- mkgen.pl: fix calls to write_file() routine to write to current directory.
- When printing, the images are composed onto a white background to prevent printing a black box instead of a transaprent image.
- Fix color visison deficiency display filters to apply gamma correction directly.
# Updated Translations:
- Scottish Gaelic.
- Bug fixes.