Scribus is a free DTP app, which gives you a useful variety of tools with which you can complete all manner of various projects. It comes packed with preloaded templates or you can create your own document from scratch.
The template options are varied and professional looking. Whether you're creating brochures, business cards, newsletters, PDF presentations or posters, you have several templates to choose from.
The interface is easy to get to grips with; simply choose a template and start working. All the main tools that you will need are efficiently arranged across the top of the doc window. There are some measurement markings on all sides of the window that enable you to check your formatting and alignment with a quick glance.
The app also comes with a lot of support options to help you get the best results from your work. There is an enthusiastic and friendly community around Scribus that assists beginner and pro alike, via the mailing list, IRC channel, wiki, contracted support, and the bug-tracker.
Overall, Scribus gives you a fluid and efficient way to create all kinds of documents. It supports professional features, such as CMYK color, spot color, separations, ICC color and robust commercial grade PDF.
* 1.3.5 is based on Qt 4 (the minimum required to run 1.3.5 is Qt 4.4.0)
* A native OS X version, available as DMG file (Universal Binary)
* Improved menu integration with OS X
* Large parts of the canvas and text code have been rewritten
* A new frame type called Render Frames, which allows for rendering markup languages like LaTeX or POV-Ray inside Scribus
* Added import filters for the following vector formats: Adobe Illustrator, Xfig, WMF
* Added import filters for colour palettes, including allowing palette import from EPS/AI files
* Major improvements to the handling of solid colours, as well as new colour palettes
* Drag and drop improvements
* PDF 1.5 presentation effect support
* Optional embedding of PDF and EPS files
* Transform effects for items
* Path tools for shapes
* Added more additional default shapes, line patterns and arrowheads
* A new line editor for custom line styles
* A new Quick Start Guide in the Help Browser, as well as other major updates and enhancements to the online help
* Significant enhancements to existing features like the Scrapbook, the Image Manager or the Font Preview