Paint.NET is free image and photo manipulation application for the Windows platform. Every feature of Paint.NET, including the user interface, was designed to be immediately intuitive and easy to learn without assistance.
Key Features Include:
- Special effects tools include: blurring, sharpening, red-eye removal, distortion, noise and embossing.
- 3D Rotate/Zoom effects make it very easy to add perspective and tilting.
- Image manipulation tools include: brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, curves, and levels. You can also convert an image to black and white, or sepia.
In order to navigate multiple images easily, Paint.NET uses a tabbed document interface. The tabs display a live thumbnail of the image instead of a text description.
Paint.NET uses a layers system to form the basis for rich image composition. Layers are likened to a stack of transparency slides that, when viewed together at the same time, form an image.
* New: Italian translation.
* New: Ability to save PNG's at 8- and 24-bit color depths.
* New: Ability to save BMP's at 8-bit color depth.
* New: "Auto-detect" bit-depth option for PNG, BMP, and TGA file types. It will analyze the image and determine the lowest bit-depth that can still save the image without quality loss.
* New: "Fragment" blur effect, by Ed Harvey
* New: The "Polar Inversion" distortion effect has been enhanced to allow changing the rendering offset, and the behavior for "edge" pixels (clamp, reflect, or wrap).
* New: For developers, added a Color Wheel control to IndirectUI for use in effect plugins.
* New: For developers, added ability to customize certain properties of the effect configuration dialog via IndirectUI.
* New: For developers, IndirectUI can now be used to write configuration UI for file types.
* New: For developers, IndirectUI has a new radio button control type for enumerations, and some new property constraint rules.
* Changed: Most effects and adjustments, including plugins that use IndirectUI, have been visually refreshed. The new look is cleaner and more compact. These changes are shown in more detail at http://blog.getpaint.net/2008/03/10/cleaning-up-the-ui-for-paintnet-v330/
* Fixed: Various UI issues with the Levels adjustment.
* Fixed: When pasting text into the Text tool with Ctrl+V, it would hide the nub for moving the text.
* Fixed: If the startup tool was set to the Zoom or Pan (Hand) tool, then the toolbar would render incorrectly.
* Fixed: Thumbnails for PDN images now include transparency, which improves their appearance in Windows Vista.
* Fixed: In some cases, an exponential property slider would get "stuck" at some values when using up/down keyboard keys. This mostly affects some effect plugins.
* Fixed: When using keyboard navigation, sometimes the File menu would scroll its items out of view.
* Fixed: Some crashes that were tracked down to out-of-bounds coordinate values in certain effects.
* Fixed: The installer would fail if Paint.NET had never been installed before, and was being installed to any non-default directory. This bug only affected version 3.22.