Firebird is a relational database offering many ANSI SQL standard features that runs on Linux, Windows, and a variety of Unix platforms. Firebird offers excellent concurrency, high performance, and powerful language support for stored procedures and triggers.
Firebird is a fully featured and powerful RDBMS. It can handle databases from just a few KB to many Gigabytes with good performance and almost free of maintenance!
Below is a list of some of the Firebird's major features:
- Full support of Stored Procedures and Triggers
- Full ACID compliant transactions
- Referential Integrity
- Multi Generational Architecture
- Very small footprint
- Fully featured internal language for Stored Procedures and Triggers (PSQL)
- Support for External Functions (UDFs)
- Little or no need for specialized DBAs
- Almost no configuration needed
- Large user community
- Optional single file embedded version
- Dozens of third party tools
- Careful writes - fast recovery, no need for transaction logs!
- Many ways to access your database
- Native support for all major operating systems
- Incremental Backups
- 64bits builds available
- Full cursor implementation in PSQL
- Monitoring tables
- Connection and Transaction Triggers
- Temporary Tables
* Several bug fixes and a few improvements.