Windows Defender is an application which helps protect your computer against pop-ups, slow performance and security threats that are caused by spyware and other malware, by detecting and removing these threats from your computer.
Windows Defender features Real-Time Protection; a monitoring system that recommends actions against spyware when it's detected. It minimizes interruptions and helps you stay productive.
Windows Defender key benefits include:
- Spyware detection and removal.
- Improved Internet browsing safety.
- Protection against the latest threats.
Windows Defender is enhanced by SpyNet; a community that brings Windows Defender users together to identify and share information about spyware. This community reports potential threats identified by the Windows Defender real-time system agents to the SpyNet servers, these in turn, catalogue and update the system to help protect you from new spyware threats.
- New option to display Windows Defender system tray icon even when there are no pending actions needed.
- Enhanced performance through a new scanning engine.
- Streamlined, simplified user interface and alerts.
- Improved control over programs on your computer with enhanced Software Explorer.
- Multiple language support with globalization and localization features.
- Protection features for all users, whether or not they have administrator rights on the computer.
- Support for assistive technology for individuals who have physical or cognitive difficulties, impairments, and disabilities.
- Support for Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.
- Automatic cleaning according to your settings during regularly scheduled scans.
Microsoft encourages all Windows Defender (Beta 2) users to download and install Windows Defender.
Note that the final release version of Defender no longer supports Windows 2000