VLC Media Player 2.0.4
VLC Media Player is the most popular and robust multi format, free media player available. The open source media player was publically released in 2001 by non-profit organization VideoLAN Project. VLC Media Player quickly became very popular thanks to its versatile multi-format playback capabilities. It was aided by compatibility and codec issues which rendered competitor media players like QuickTime, Windows and Real Media Player useless to many popular video and music file formats. The easy, basic UI and huge array of customization options have enforced VLC Media Player’s position at the top of the free media players.
VLC plays almost any video or music file format you can find. At its launch this was a revolution compared to the default media players most people were using that often crashed or displayed “codecs missing” error messages when trying to play media files. VLC can play MPEG, AVI, RMBV, FLV, QuickTime, WMV, MP4 and a shed load of other media file formats. For a full list of compatible file formats please click here. Not only can VLC Media Player handle loads of different formats, VLC can also playback partial or incomplete media files so you can preview downloads before they finish.
Easy to Use
VLC’s UI is definitely a case of function over beauty. The basic look does however make the player extremely easy to use. Simply drag and drop files to play or open them using files and folders then use the classic media navigation buttons to play, pause, stop, skip, edit playback speed, change the volume, brightness, etc. A huge variety of skins and customization options mean the standard appearance shouldn’t be enough to prevent you choosing VLC as your default media player.
Don’t let VLC Media Player’s simple interface fool you, within the playback, audio, video, tools and view tabs are a huge variety of player options. You can play with synchronization settings including a graphic equalizer with multiple pre-sets, overlays, special effects, AtmoLight video effects, audio spatializer and customizable range compression settings. You can even add subtitles to videos by adding the SRT file to the video’s folder.
VLC Media Player is quite simply the most versatile, stable and high quality free media player available. It has rightly dominated the free media player market for over 10 years now and looks like it may for another 10 years thanks to the constant development and improvement by VideoLAN Org.
# Audio Output:
* Improve playback synchronization with PulseAudio.
* Fix ALSA digital pass-through ("S/PDIF").
* Fix live audio device selection on Mac OS X
* Fix detection of some 5.1 and 7.1 kits on Windows.
* Fix audio output behavior when the output device is plugged or unplugged during playback on Mac OS X
* Fix numerous DVD (dvdnav) crashes
* Fix HTTP playback through proxy and advertise gzip correctly
* Fix TLS busy-loop during client-side handshake
* Support for Opus decoding via libopus, including multi-channel files
* Support MSS1 and MSS2 decoding through DMO libraries
* Fix Hebrew and Greek subtitles encoding
* Fix crashes on malformed subtitles and malformed png files
* Fix crashes when using hardware decoding
* Fix issues in Ogg with zero length packets
* Fix file duration of Ogg/Theora and Ogg/Vorbis files
* Fix vimeo, koreus and youtube lua parsers
* Support Youtube live streams
* Fix Wallpaper mode on Windows 7/8
* Fix media info dialog update
* Fix random/repeat preferences saving
* Fix crashes when opening audio effects dialog, with skins and playlist
* Fix crash on association dialog on Windows XP
* Fix album art display at start
# Mac OS X:
* Fix command-line options to control the interface behavior
* Deactivate CoreAnimation effects on Leopard
* Fix menus display and behavior
* Fix various crashes and small issues including bookmarks, playlist, buttons, streaming wizard, video size, hotkeys and fullscreen controller
* Fix font selection for Unicode subtitles
* Improve system sleep behavior when playing audio-only media. The screen is allowed to sleep while the system is kept awake during playback.
* Fix code signing of Delete Preferences application
* Add option to Audio Effects panel to activate the Karaoke filter
* Fix Notify (D-Bus) plugin deadlock.
* Fix buffer corruption in freetype and subtitles modules
* Improve Blu-Ray and HLS support
* Fix issues on selection of playlist items for WebUI
* Codec and other 3rd party library updates
* Fix swscale and canvas behavior with Aspect Ratio
* Fix mime-type when streaming Webm over HTTP
* Fix recording behaviour in Windows network environments
* Codecs and 3rd party libary updates
* Updates of Norwegian Bokmål, Korean, Slovak, Serbian, Russian, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Portuguese, Walloon, Turkish, Thai, Polish, Dutch, Khmer, Hindi, Japanese, Galician, Hebrew, German, Breton, Scottish Gaelic, Czech, Estonian translations
* Initial translations for Bengali, Fula, Gujarati and Bosnian