Opera is a secure web browser that is both fast and rich in features. It has a slick interface that embraces a modern, minimalist look, coupled with stacks of tools to make browsing more enjoyable. These include such tools as Speed Dial, which houses your favorites and Opera Turbo mode, which compresses pages to give you quicker navigation, (even when you have a bad connection).
Opera has everything you need to browse the web via a great interface. From startup it offers a Discover page that brings fresh content to you directly; it displays the news you want by topic, country and language. The Speed dial and bookmarks pages are also available to you at launch, which gives you easy access to the sites you use the most and those you've added to your favorite list.
Key features include:
- Sleek interface.
- Download manager.
- Customizable themes.
- Speed dial.
- Private browsing mode.
- Discover provides fresh news content.
Opera provides an integrated search and navigation function, which is a common sight among its other, well known, adversaries. Opera utilizes a single bar for both search and navigation, instead of having two text fields at the top of the screen. This feature obviously keeps the browser window uncluttered, whilst providing you with top functionality.
Opera also includes a download manager, and a private browsing mode that allows you to navigate without leaving a trace. Opera allows you to install an array of extensions too, so you can customize your browser as you see fit. Although the catalog is significantly smaller than more popular browsers' you'll find versions of Adblock Plus, Feedly, and Pinterest.
Opera is a great browser for the modern web. In terms of numbers of users, it is behind Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. However, it is bang up to date with cutting edge technology and remains a strong contender in the browser wars.
Overall, Opera has an excellent design coupled with top performance; it is both simple and practical. The keyboard shortcuts are similar to other browsers, the available options are varied and the Speed Dial interface is pleasant to use. You can also customize Opera with themes and make you browsing experience even more personal. So, if you are thinking of trying something different than your usual browser, Opera could be the choice for you.
# User interface
- New web handlers tab in the Site Preferences dialog cut off, dialog not wide enough
- Crash when clicking "Use master password to protect saved passwords" checkbox
- Occasional crash when clicking a link or opening a new tab
- Opera crashes when closing a tab that has the Star Menu opened
- Can't close Star Menu after opening Folders
- Opera crashes while closing feeds tab while dialog is open
- Opera loses advanced download settings after restart
- Opera Turbo Tooltip repeated multiple times
- Wrong new reload icon
- Zoom factor lost after selecting another message
- Bookmark star icon is not refreshed when the page is removed from the bookmarks
- Drop support for Fallback Background = 0 and Fallback Foreground = 0 in skins, fixes layout in mail window with some 3rd party skins
- Ampersands on main menu in WinXP with Zune Theme
- Titlebar remains when entering fullscreen mode (XP)
# Display and scripting
- thepokerbay.org user profile crashes onload
- Crash in Carakan on WebGL benchmark
- Crash on applying 3025 background images
- Out of range memory access when using subpixel rendering
- Secure IFrame with URL to image lowers security level to "Unsecure" (breaks Paypal checkout)
- Opera freezes when loading a big session with the Tab vault extension
- NFL.com crashes with admuncher installed
- Overwritten document.selectSingleNode not called if invoked by helper function
- load events fire on LINK elements pointing to existing local resources (link rel="stylesheet" href="file://...")
- Cannot scroll down with mouse wheel over IFRAME with scrolling=no if smooth scrolling is enabled
- stylesheet not applied due to malformed gzip content
- Userjs confirmation on secure pages pops up on every load of the page
- Incorrect value of elements in ArrayBufferView created with byteOffset to an ArrayBuffer
- Captcha Images is not refreshing automatically after site refresh
# Mail, news, chat
- Opera crashes on updating mail from version 9.27
- Crashes if you unpin the last message in the "Pinned" view
- After few seconds locked attachments disappear from a mail
- Check/Send (Ctrl+K) does not activate all mail accounts
- Sorting problem with ungrouped mail list
- Mail unread count is wrong
- Users not receiving new mails because of QRESYNC. Added a way to disable QRESYNC in incomingN.txt and automatically disable it if fails to sync with QRESYNC enabled
- Crash in host resolver when closing browser after loading large number of tabs simultaneously
- IPv6 IP literal URLs "Invalid"
- Fixed an issue where manipulation of framed content can allow cross-site scripting
- Fixed an issue here script events could be used to reveal the presence of local files