VLC Media Player 2.0.2
VLC Media Player is the most popular and robust multi format, free media player available. The open source media player was publically released in 2001 by non-profit organization VideoLAN Project. VLC Media Player quickly became very popular thanks to its versatile multi-format playback capabilities. It was aided by compatibility and codec issues which rendered competitor media players like QuickTime, Windows and Real Media Player useless to many popular video and music file formats. The easy, basic UI and huge array of customization options have enforced VLC Media Player’s position at the top of the free media players.
VLC plays almost any video or music file format you can find. At its launch this was a revolution compared to the default media players most people were using that often crashed or displayed “codecs missing” error messages when trying to play media files. VLC can play MPEG, AVI, RMBV, FLV, QuickTime, WMV, MP4 and a shed load of other media file formats. For a full list of compatible file formats please click here. Not only can VLC Media Player handle loads of different formats, VLC can also playback partial or incomplete media files so you can preview downloads before they finish.
Easy to Use
VLC’s UI is definitely a case of function over beauty. The basic look does however make the player extremely easy to use. Simply drag and drop files to play or open them using files and folders then use the classic media navigation buttons to play, pause, stop, skip, edit playback speed, change the volume, brightness, etc. A huge variety of skins and customization options mean the standard appearance shouldn’t be enough to prevent you choosing VLC as your default media player.
Don’t let VLC Media Player’s simple interface fool you, within the playback, audio, video, tools and view tabs are a huge variety of player options. You can play with synchronization settings including a graphic equalizer with multiple pre-sets, overlays, special effects, AtmoLight video effects, audio spatializer and customizable range compression settings. You can even add subtitles to videos by adding the SRT file to the video’s folder.
VLC Media Player is quite simply the most versatile, stable and high quality free media player available. It has rightly dominated the free media player market for over 10 years now and looks like it may for another 10 years thanks to the constant development and improvement by VideoLAN Org.
# Video Output:
* XP machine will now use DirectX mode by default, like in previous versions. There were too many errors with broken drivers.
* More accurate colourspaces conversions for YUV->RGB in OpenGL
* Add menu support for libvlc / VLCKit applications on Mac OS X
* Various fixes on Mac OS X, notably for crop, zoom, osd and menu support
* Misc fixes in OpenGL module, on all platforms
* Fix video output on PowerPC-based Macs equipped with an ATI Radeon 7500, an ATI Radeon 9200 or a NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra.
* Fix video output of 10bit encoded contents on Intel-based Macs equipped with an Intel GMA 950 chipset running OS X 10.6 or later.
* Add support for the HiDPI mode used on recent Apple products with so-called Retina Displays.
* Rework Digital TV module for Windows. DVB-T and DVB-C should work again
* Fixes for RAR compressed files
* Fix DirectShow crashes on exit
* Improve PulseAudio input latency
* Fixes for HTTP access through a proxy
* v4l2 webcam outputting H264 can now be used directly (use --v4l2-chroma=h264)
* Fix subtitles auto-detection in subfolders and detection behaviour
* IE http proxy is not used anymore by VLC on Win32
* Accept more extensions for DVD images
* Fix crash in VC1 packetizer
* Improvements in Blu-Ray playback
* Improvements and fixes in HLS support
* Fix crashes in AAC decoder on channels changes, notably in ISDB streams
* Fix compilation with multiple FFmpeg and libav versions
* Fix G726 support
* Fix MP3 free format support
* Fixes for MKV segments, seeking and MKV title display
* Fix for some mp4, voc, midi and au crashes
* Fix for Real .ram, .f4v, .avi and .ra files support
* Fix for DVB channels file support
* Fixes for alac, vorbis, DTS, VC-1 and Dirac in mp4
* Fix for MPEG Audio encoding, use layer2 when using fourcc "mp2 " and "mp2a"
* Fix for JPEG generation, when doing snapshots
# Audio filters and output:
* Limitation of spatializer volume output
* Fix DirectSound device selection
* Correct PulseAudio volume control
* Do not apply volume in file output
* Fix sampling rate in JACK output
* Fixes in ALSA output for latency and for broken drivers
# Mac OS X:
* Enable drag and drop of playlist items between the temporary playlist and the persistant media library
* Enable import of playlist items taken from the service discovery modules to the media library or the temporary playlist
* Media key support for keyboards by other manufacturers than Apple This fix was facilitated through a hardware donation by ZF Friedrichshafen AG manufacturing keyboards under the brand "Cherry".
* Add support for the Apple Remote to set the Mac to sleep using a longer press on the Play/Pause button
* Remove libfontconfig's font cache by an Apple Type Services lookup. This removes the "Updating Cache" dialog, before finding all fonts.
* Re-add an option to hide the window decoration during video playback
* Improve compatibility with other 3rd party apps using SPMediaKeyTap
* Many Fullscreen fixes
* Keep Aspect Ratio when resizing is back
* Add controls to manipulate the Subtitles Duration to the Track Synchronization panel
* Hidden items in the sidebar are being retained for the next launch now
* Fix crash when trying to open an Audio CD by drag & drop
* Improve reliability when opening DVDs or BDs by drag & drop
* Fix crashes on exit
* Fix crash when mounting a device with multiple logical volumes while VLC is running
* Chosen audio output device is retained throughout multiple sessions
* Since running the Mac OS X interface as an Extra Interface or Control Interface can lead to undefined results, eventual settings will be automatically reset on the first launch. - This fixes issues with unresponsive playback controls and crashes on quit.
* Update Growl plugin for use with Growl 1.3
* Miscellaneous minor interface improvements
# Lua Scripts:
* Fixes for stdin/stdout and for different locale issues
* Fixes for icecast SD
* Fix preferences for audio devices on Windows
* Fix playlist search and selector behaviour
* Fix multiple issues in the Open Disc dialog
* Miscellaneous fixes in preferences, buttons, EPG, playlist and customize dialog
* Fix tags and file names display
* Fix various crashes, display issues and usability issues
* Fix mousewheel on Windows
* Fix for key events and focus loss
# Web interface:
* Fix display of some buttons
* Fix listing of files in the Open interface
* Fixes for widgets behaviour and vlm dialog
* Fix Ogg Heap buffer overflow
* Update taglib (CVE-2012-2396)
* Update libavcodec and other codecs libraries
* Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Walloon, Slovak, Polish, Khmer, Japanese, Italian, French, Czech, Belarusian, Breton, Greek, Spanish, Estonian, Irish, Galician, Hungarian, Japanese, Dutch, Telugu, Ukranian, Thai translations update
* New Scottish Gaelic translation