TightVNC is a free remote control software package derived from the popular VNC software. With TightVNC, you can see the desktop of a remote machine and control it with your local mouse and keyboard, just like you would do it sitting in the front of that computer.
TightVNC can be used to perform remote control and administration tasks in Windows, Unix and mixed network environments. It can be very helpful in distance learning and remote customer support.
TightVNC provides these features which are otherwise absent in standard VNC:
- File transfers in versions for Windows.
- Support for video mirror driver (Windows 2000 and above).
- Scaling of the remote desktop (viewer for Windows and Java viewer).
- Efficient "Tight" encoding with optional JPEG compression.
- Enhanced Web browser access.
- Support for two passwords, full-control and read-only.
# TightVNC Server
* Now all displays are shown in Viewer when monitors are connected to different graphics cards, rather then showing only one.
* No more cursor disappearing or freezing when an application window controlled remotely is dragged by its title bar.
# TightVNC Viewer
* Added detection of a Windows key press (alone or in combination with other keys), as well as Alt -Tab combination in the full-screen mode.
* Improved a File transfer window: file listing in the directory is now case insensitive.
* Added sorting of files by Name, Size or date Modified either in ascending or descending order.