TightVNC is a free remote control software package derived from the popular VNC software. With TightVNC, you can see the desktop of a remote machine and control it with your local mouse and keyboard, just like you would do it sitting in the front of that computer.
TightVNC can be used to perform remote control and administration tasks in Windows, Unix and mixed network environments. It can be very helpful in distance learning and remote customer support.
TightVNC provides these features which are otherwise absent in standard VNC:
- File transfers in versions for Windows.
- Support for video mirror driver (Windows 2000 and above).
- Scaling of the remote desktop (viewer for Windows and Java viewer).
- Efficient "Tight" encoding with optional JPEG compression.
- Enhanced Web browser access.
- Support for two passwords, full-control and read-only.
# Server for Windows:
- Fixed a bug with multi-monitor configurations running on Windows 8. The main display can be safely set to any monitor in a row or column.
- On Windows 8, data is no longer corrupted when the screen resolution is not divided by four (native resolution for some laptops).
- No more issues on the Server side when a zero compression level is set in the Viewer settings (Options > Set custom compression level > level: 0).
- Fixed incompatibility with older versions of TightVNC Viewer (1.3.10).
# Viewer for Windows:
- Fixed a keyboard bug: it stopped working after a file transfer window is opened.