TightVNC is a free remote control software package derived from the popular VNC software. With TightVNC, you can see the desktop of a remote machine and control it with your local mouse and keyboard, just like you would do it sitting in the front of that computer.
TightVNC can be used to perform remote control and administration tasks in Windows, Unix and mixed network environments. It can be very helpful in distance learning and remote customer support.
TightVNC provides these features which are otherwise absent in standard VNC:
- File transfers in versions for Windows.
- Support for video mirror driver (Windows 2000 and above).
- Scaling of the remote desktop (viewer for Windows and Java viewer).
- Efficient "Tight" encoding with optional JPEG compression.
- Enhanced Web browser access.
- Support for two passwords, full-control and read-only.
* Installer for Windows:
- Fixed a problem where TightVNC Server was registered as a Windows service, despite that was disabled via the MSI property SERVER_REGISTER_AS_SERVICE.
* Server for Windows:
- New version of the built-in Java Viewer (version 2.6.2).
- Refactored the desktop architecture (no changes in the functionality).
* Viewer for Windows:
- A number of improvements in full screen mode.
- Fixed a problem where the viewer could hang up or crash after disconnect.
- Fixed minor errors in Tight decoder.