Python is a dynamic object-oriented programming language that can be used for many kinds of software development. It offers strong support for integration with other languages and tools, comes with extensive standard libraries, and can be learned in a few days. Many Python programmers report substantial productivity gains and feel the language encourages the development of higher quality, more maintainable code.
Python runs on Windows, Linux/Unix, Mac OS X, OS/2, Amiga, Palm Handhelds, and Nokia mobile phones. Python has also been ported to the Java and .NET virtual machines.
Python is distributed under an OSI-approved open source license that makes it free to use, even for commercial products.
Core and Builtins
- Issue #3996: On Windows, the PyOS_CheckStack function would cause the
interpreter to abort ("Fatal Python error: Could not reset the stack!")
instead of throwing a MemoryError.
- Issue #3689: The list reversed iterator now supports __length_hint__
instead of __len__. Behavior now matches other reversed iterators.
- Issue #4367: Python would segfault during compiling when the unicodedata
module couldn't be imported and \N escapes were present.
- Fix build failure of _cursesmodule.c building with -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2.
- Issue #4387: binascii now refuses to accept str as binary input.
- Issue #4073: Add 2to3 support to build_scripts, refactor that support
- IDLE would print a "Unhandled server exception!" message when internal
debugging is enabled.
- Issue #4455: IDLE failed to display the windows list when two windows have
the same title.
- Issue #3741: DISTUTILS_USE_SDK set causes msvc9compiler.py to raise an
- Issue #4433: Fixed an access violation when garbage collecting
- Issue #4429: Fixed UnicodeDecodeError in ctypes.
- Issue #4373: Corrected a potential reference leak in the pickle module and
silenced a false positive ref leak in distutils.tests.test_build_ext.
- Issue #4382: dbm.dumb did not specify the expected file encoding for opened
- Issue #4383: When IDLE cannot make the connection to its subprocess, it would
fail to properly display the error message.
- Issue #4407: Fix source file that caused the compileall step in Windows
installer to fail.
- Issue #4449: Fixed multiprocessing examples
- Issue #3799: Document that dbm.gnu and dbm.ndbm will accept string arguments
for keys and values which will be converted to bytes before committal.