PostgreSQL is a powerful, open source object-relational database system. It has more than 15 years of active development and a proven architecture that has earned it a strong reputation for reliability, data integrity, and correctness.
It is fully ACID compliant, has full support for foreign keys, joins, views, triggers, and stored procedures (in multiple languages). It includes most SQL:2008 data types, including INTEGER, NUMERIC, BOOLEAN, CHAR, VARCHAR, DATE, INTERVAL, and TIMESTAMP.
# Major enhancements include:
- Allow queries to retrieve data only from indexes, avoiding heap access (index-only scans)
- Allow the planner to generate custom plans for specific parameter values even when using prepared statements
- Improve the planner's ability to use nested loops with inner index scans
- Allow streaming replication slaves to forward data to other slaves (cascading replication)
- Allow pg_basebackup to make base backups from standby servers
- Add a pg_receivexlog tool to archive WAL file changes as they are written
- Add the SP-GiST (Space-Partitioned GiST) index access method
- Add support for range data types
- Add a JSON data type
- Add a security_barrier option for views
- Allow libpq connection strings to have the format of a URI
- Add a single-row processing mode to libpq for better handling of large result sets