Windows Live Messenger 2009 Beta
Windows Live Messenger makes it easier than ever to stay connected to the people you care about.
- Favorites and groups: Put the people you chat with most at the top of your contacts, so you easily see when they're online. Want to chat with several people in one window? Simply set up a group.
- Share photos: Look at photos together, right in the conversation window and Messenger tells you when people you know post new photos on Windows Live.
- Customize: Show off your personal style with custom scenes, animated display pictures, and signature sounds.
- Mobile and web: Using a public computer without Messenger? No problem! You can chat on the web from Windows Live Hotmail or use Messenger on your smartphone.
Get Messenger and stay in touch.
* A new revamped and refined user interface to follow suite with the rest of the Windows Live Wave 3 design. Many functions have been merged and many unnecessary buttons removed.
* Display pictures have been moved over to the left side of conversation windows.
* The ability to set your own "Scene", by customizing the background image and color of the contact list.
* Conversation windows display the contact's particular "Scene" instead of your own for improved contact identification and window management.
* A new "Groups" feature, which allows you to create a never ending group conversation between select contacts (via invitation), which can be initiated at any time.
* Groups have been renamed to "Categories" to make way for this feature (see above).
* Newly redesigned and more easily identifiable status icons which now resemble small gems, rather than the previous "Messenger Buddy" icons.
* Now uses the standard window frame (Windows Vista users only) in accordance with the Windows Vista UX Guidelines.
* A new default "Favorites" Category, in which you can place your favorite contacts for easy access to them and additional details about those contacts at the top of your list.
* New Photo Sharing utility which allows contacts to quickly and easily browse photos together.
* "What's New" section at the bottom of the contact list to quickly outline recent contact updates, such as a new personal message, new display picture, or updates to their Windows Live Spaces.
* "Be right back", "Out to lunch" and "On the phone"/"In a call" statuses have been removed and the "Online" status has been renamed as "Available".
* New colored borders which appear around display pictures to quickly display the currently set status of that contact.