The GIMP 2.3.12 Beta
It has many capabilities. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert quality photo retouching program, an online batch processing system, a mass production image renderer, an image format converter, etc.
- Full suite of painting tools including brushes, a pencil, an airbrush, cloning, etc.
- Tile-based memory management so image size is limited only by available disk space
- Sub-pixel sampling for all paint tools for high-quality anti-aliasing
- Full Alpha channel support
- Layers and channels
- A procedural database for calling internal GIMP functions from external programs, such as Script-Fu
- Advanced scripting capabilities
- Multiple undo/redo (limited only by disk space)
- Transformation tools including rotate, scale, shear and flip
- File formats supported include GIF, JPEG, PNG, XPM, TIFF, TGA, MPEG, PS, PDF, PCX, BMP and many others
- Selection tools including rectangle, ellipse, free, fuzzy, bezier and intelligent
- Plug-ins that allow for the easy addition of new file formats and new effect filters
The installer has been pretty much rewritten. It's
recommended to uninstall previous GIMP 2.3 version before
installing this one.
GTK+ is now included in the installer.
- merged the Perspective Clone tool
- allow to pan the image view using the Space bar
- show a thumbnail in the "Rotate JPEG?" query dialog
- added file information to the Image Properties dialog
- more work on the new selection tools
- give immidiate feedback when tool modifier keys are pressed
- added Lens Distortion plug-in
- internationalize Python binding and Python plug-ins
- improved internal message infrastructure, use the statusbar for warnings
- added an URL loader backend based on libcurl
- build a color-managed CMYK color selector if lcms is available
- localize Script-Fu procedure descriptions
- lots of user interface polishing
- bug fixes and code cleanup