Pidgin is a chat program which lets you log in to accounts on multiple chat networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on MSN, talking to a friend on Google Talk, and sitting in a Yahoo chat room all at the same time.
Pidgin runs on Windows, Linux, and other UNIX operating systems.
Pidgin is compatible with the following chat networks out of the box: AIM, ICQ, Google Talk, Jabber/XMPP, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, IRC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, QQ, Lotus Sametime, SILC, SIMPLE, MySpaceIM, and Zephyr. It can support many more with plugins.
Pidgin supports many features of these chat networks, such as file transfers, away messages, buddy icons, custom smilies, and typing notifications. Numerous plugins also extend Pidgin's functionality above and beyond the standard features.
Pidgin integrates with the system tray on Windows.
- Included Microsoft Internet Authority 2010 and Microsoft Secure Server Authority 2010 intermediate CA certificates to our bundle. This fixes the "Unable to validate certificate" error for omega.contacts.msn.com.
- Avoid a use-after-free race condition in the media code (when there's an error reported by GStreamer).
# AIM and ICQ:
- SSL option has been changed to a tri-state menu with choices for "Don't Use Encryption", "Use Encryption if Available", and "Require Encryption".
- Fix some possible clientLogin URL issues introduced in version 2.7.5.
- Don't show a "<URL>: Ok" connection error when using clientLogin.
- Cleaned up some debug output for improved readability.
- Added support for MSNP16, including Multiple Points of Presence (MPOP) which allows multiple simultaneous sign-ins.
- Added extended capabilities support (none implemented).
- Merged the work done on the Google SoC (major rewrite of SLP code)
- Reworked the data transfer architecture. (SlpArchitecture)
- Lots of little changes.
- Don't process zero-length DC messages.
- Fixed a bunch of memory leaks.
- Prevent a use-after-free condition.
- Avoid a double-free in the Google Relay (V/V) code.
- Avoid double error message when failing a file transfer.
- Password-related information is printed out for SASL authentication when the PURPLE_UNSAFE_DEBUG environment variable is set.
- Authentication mechanisms can now be added by UI's or other plugins with some work. This is outside the API/ABI rules!
- Fixed a few printf("%s", NULL) crashes for broken OSes.
# Windows-Specific Changes:
- Build the Pidgin Theme Editor plugin (finally).
- Untarring (for themes) now works for non-ASCII destination paths.