Pidgin is a chat program which lets you log in to accounts on multiple chat networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on MSN, talking to a friend on Google Talk, and sitting in a Yahoo chat room all at the same time.
Pidgin runs on Windows, Linux, and other UNIX operating systems.
Pidgin is compatible with the following chat networks out of the box: AIM, ICQ, Google Talk, Jabber/XMPP, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, IRC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, QQ, Lotus Sametime, SILC, SIMPLE, MySpaceIM, and Zephyr. It can support many more with plugins.
Pidgin supports many features of these chat networks, such as file transfers, away messages, buddy icons, custom smilies, and typing notifications. Numerous plugins also extend Pidgin's functionality above and beyond the standard features.
Pidgin integrates with the system tray on Windows.
Stu: We fixed some bugs, this release should be 110% better than 2.4.0
John: Well, I didn't really do much this release except muck about with
the configure script. Blame me if it worked in 2.4.0 but doesn't now.
Will: We seem to be falling into a nice pattern of releasing on the last
day of a month. Hypothetical AIX users might be pleased to learn that
Pidgin might actually run for them now!
version 2.4.1 (03/31/2008):
* Treat AIM Unicode messages as UTF-16 rather than UCS-2; this
should have no functional effect, other than continued support
on systems which have dropped UCS-2 conversions.
* Add support for setting buddy icons on Gadu-Gadu (Tomasz Salacinski)
* Fix a crash when clearing the buddy icon for an account on XMPP
* Fix a crash during login for some ICQ accounts
* Prefer more available resources on XMPP when priorities are equal
* Fix incorrectly marking some Yahoo! contacts as blocked
* Improved handling of UTF-8 group names on ICQ (beret)
* Fix a crash when starting if you have a Zephyr account
* Increase XMPP ping timeout to 120 seconds, to prevent poor network
connections from timing out unnecessarily.
* Don't crash on XMPP forms with empty default values.
* Fix issues with CHAP authentication for SOCKS5 proxies.
* Fix cross-compiling for Win32 when using GCC 4.x
* Remove a workaround for older versions gstreamer that was causing
crashes on some non-Linux systems such as HPUX
* Fix some cases of the conversation input entry area being 1 pixel high
* Fix for displaying channel & buddy names in conversation window when
they have '&' in them
* Some memory leak fixes, especially in the Text Replacement plugin
* Rectangular but non-square buddy icons have rounded corners in the buddy
* Fix compiling with Glib older than 2.6
* Ensure existing conversations selected from the 'Send IM' dialog are
* Move the tooltip on the left of the buddylist if there's not enough room
on the right to show it.