MyDefrag (formerly JKDefrag) is a disk defragmenter and optimizer for Windows 2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/X64. Completely automatic and very easy to use, fast, low overhead, with several optimization strategies, and can handle floppies, USB disks, memory sticks, and anything else that looks like a disk to Windows.
Included are a Windows version, a commandline version (for scheduling by the task scheduler or for use from administrator scripts), a screensaver version, a DLL library (for use from programming languages), versions for Windows X64, and the complete sources.
Why use this defragger instead of the standard Windows defragger?
- Much faster.
- Totally automatic, extremely easy to use.
- Optimized for daily use.
- Disk optimization, several strategies.
- Directories are moved to the beginning of the disk.
- Reclaims MFT reserved space after disk-full.
- Maintains free spaces for temporary files.
- Can defragment very full harddisks.
- Can defragment very large files.
- Can defragment individual directories and files.
- Can be run automatically with the Windows Scheduler.
- Can be used from the commandline.
- Can be used as a screen saver.
- Can be run from cdrom or memory stick.
- Sources available, can be customized.
- Fixed a bug in the Windows version that for some users caused the display of
the diskmap to get stuck.
- Fixed a bug in the forced-fill optimization that caused the program to skip
fragments that were left by filling a gap with a part of the fragment.
- If the volumename of a disk cannot be determined then the program will now
fallback to using the mountpoint of a volume to open a handle.
- If the user specifies a short input mask without a wildcard, for example "C:"
or "C:\", then the input mask is rewritten as "C:\*".
- Fixed a bug where the special "DisableDefaults" spacehogs mask only disabled
the masks, but not the "Files bigger than 50 megabytes"" and "Files not
accessed in the last month" criteria.
- Bundled some language-specific SpaceHogs masks into
"?:\\*\\Installshield Installation Information\\*".
- Moved the "Volume ID" message for FAT disks from debug level zero to 6.