TightVNC 1.3.8 RC
TightVNC is a free remote control software package derived from the popular VNC software. With TightVNC, you can see the desktop of a remote machine and control it with your local mouse and keyboard, just like you would do it sitting in the front of that computer.
TightVNC can be used to perform remote control and administration tasks in Windows, Unix and mixed network environments. It can be very helpful in distance learning and remote customer support.
TightVNC provides these features which are otherwise absent in standard VNC:
- File transfers in versions for Windows.
- Support for video mirror driver (Windows 2000 and above).
- Scaling of the remote desktop (viewer for Windows and Java viewer).
- Efficient "Tight" encoding with optional JPEG compression.
- Enhanced Web browser access.
- Support for two passwords, full-control and read-only.
- Win32 server: Fixed major problem with disconnecting clients on screen locking, user logoff and logon, in the service mode.
- Win32 server: Added support for DFMirage driver direct screen access mode (from DemoForge LLC).
- Win32 server: Added support for multiple monitors (from DemoForge LLC).
- Win32 server: Improved layout and functionality of the Properties dialog.
- Win32 server: More accurate password handling - now the server code tries to distinguish between "empty" and "unset" passwords better.
- Win32 server: New -shareall, -shareprimary and -sharearea command-line options, working similarly to the -sharewindow option.
- Win32 server: Fixed problems with restoring desktop wallpaper.
- Win32 viewer: Fixed bug with not enabling JPEG compression by default.
- Win32 viewer: Fixed bug with not setting proper size of the viewer window.
- Unix server: Port numbers are now calculated modulo 65536 with vncviewer's -listen option. That makes it possible to listen on TCP ports under 5900.
- Java viewer: Automatic encoding selection based on measuring current network throughput.