PostgreSQL is a powerful, open source object-relational database system. It has more than 15 years of active development and a proven architecture that has earned it a strong reputation for reliability, data integrity, and correctness.
It is fully ACID compliant, has full support for foreign keys, joins, views, triggers, and stored procedures (in multiple languages). It includes most SQL:2008 data types, including INTEGER, NUMERIC, BOOLEAN, CHAR, VARCHAR, DATE, INTERVAL, and TIMESTAMP.
* Allow synchronous replication
* Add support for foreign tables
* Add per-column collation support
* Add extensions which simplify packaging of additions to PostgreSQL
* Add a true serializable isolation level
* Support unlogged tables using the UNLOGGED option in CREATE TABLE
* Allow data-modification commands (INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE) in WITH clauses
* Add nearest-neighbor (order-by-operator) searching to GiST indexes
* Add a SECURITY LABEL command and support for SELinux permissions control
* Update the PL/Python server-side language