PostgreSQL is a powerful, open source object-relational database system. It has more than 15 years of active development and a proven architecture that has earned it a strong reputation for reliability, data integrity, and correctness.
It is fully ACID compliant, has full support for foreign keys, joins, views, triggers, and stored procedures (in multiple languages). It includes most SQL:2008 data types, including INTEGER, NUMERIC, BOOLEAN, CHAR, VARCHAR, DATE, INTERVAL, and TIMESTAMP.
# Major enhancements:
* Add materialized views
* Make simple views auto-updatable
* Add many features for the JSON data type, including operators and functions to extract elements from JSON values
* Implement SQL-standard LATERAL option for FROM-clause subqueries and function calls
* Allow foreign data wrappers to support writes (inserts/updates/deletes) on foreign tables
* Add a Postgres foreign data wrapper to allow access to other Postgres servers
* Add support for event triggers
* Add optional ability to checksum data pages and report corruption
* Prevent non-key-field row updates from blocking foreign key checks
* Greatly reduce System V shared memory requirements