Pidgin is a chat program which lets you log in to accounts on multiple chat networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on MSN, talking to a friend on Google Talk, and sitting in a Yahoo chat room all at the same time.
Pidgin runs on Windows, Linux, and other UNIX operating systems.
Pidgin is compatible with the following chat networks out of the box: AIM, ICQ, Google Talk, Jabber/XMPP, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, IRC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, QQ, Lotus Sametime, SILC, SIMPLE, MySpaceIM, and Zephyr. It can support many more with plugins.
Pidgin supports many features of these chat networks, such as file transfers, away messages, buddy icons, custom smilies, and typing notifications. Numerous plugins also extend Pidgin's functionality above and beyond the standard features.
Pidgin integrates with the system tray on Windows.
Kevin: This release is mainly a bug-fix release. It solves a few
known crashes and updates some of our artwork. Google's Summer of
code recently finished up. Some of our students are still working
on their branches and none have been merged into released code yet.
Look for some of those results to show up in Pidgin releases over the
Elliott: I'm just commenting so Kevin wouldn't be the only one in NEWS
and no-one else seems to want to. Anyway, there's a couple MSN login
fixes, so try it out. The contact list problems might still be around,
but you can probably find a workaround in trac. And there's a tooltip
fix for our AIM friends, not that I had anything to do with it (except
closing many many duplicate tickets).
version 2.5.1 (08/30/2008):
* In the Join/Part plugin, add the ability to apply the rules to
buddies. By default, joins and parts for buddies are still shown.
* Support SOCKS proxies specified in GNOME or Windows proxy settings.
* Fix some possible crashes in MSNP15.
* Enable a default SSL trust relationship for MSN servers.
* Avoid disconnecting from XMPP servers on parse errors that are
* Include some perl files that were mistakenly omitted in 2.5.0.
* Prevent use of custom smilies without "shortcuts."
* Fix a crash that could appear with AIM buddy tooltips.
* General refresh of many icons in the interface.
* Many cleanups to artwork source are now included in the distribution.
* A new "throbber" animation has been added to indicate when accounts