PeaZip is an open source file and archive manager. It's freeware and free of charge for any use.
PeaZip can extract most of archive formats both from Windows and Unix worlds, ranging from mainstream 7Z, RAR, TAR and ZIP to experimental ones like PAQ/LPAQ family, currently the most powerful compressor available.
PeaZip has secure deletion feature, can verify file checksum and hash, and supports multiple strong encryption standards, optionally using two factor authentication (password and keyfile) for increased security:
- 7Z's AES256 encryption
- ZIP WinZip's AE encryption based on AES256 (and ZipCrypto for legacy compatibility); can decrypt PKZip's AES encryption
- FreeARC's ARC: AES256, Blowfish, Twofish256 and Serpent256 - this format is also capable to generate recovery records to protect data against corruption
- PEA: AES256 EAX authenticated encryption
For archive creation, PeaZip supports a wide range of compression and encryption standards, from the fastest to the most powerful ones. It also allows you to export job definition as scripts to bridge the gap between GUI and console apps, and lets you pick the best of both worlds.
# FILE MANAGER
* (Windows) File manager shows image thumbnails and information about graphic files, only while browsing/searching the filesystem
- thumbnails does not get stored
- thumbnails calculation generates a set of 4 dedicated threads, if folder or search filter is changed a new set of threads is created and old threads are stopped as soon as possible (file level and thread level granularity: each thread can be stopped separately, at the completition of each image)
- Organize > Show picture thumbnails in main menu toggle the feature on/off
* No file is selected when an archive is opened (generally, anytime listing root level of the archive), so by default extract button performs "extract all"
* F2 remapped to rename file(s) as in Windows' file explorer
- Unchanged: Ctrl+F2 browse desktop, Shift+F2 browse computer root, Ctrl+Shift+F2 browse archive's root
# EXTRACTION and ARCHIVING
* PeaLauncher improved as standalone application, at startup accepts drag and drop of a single archive to be extracted (or alternatively it can start file selection dialog)
* Elapsed time string shows minutes and seconds if the job takes more than one minute