Fences is a program that helps you organize your desktop, and can hide your icons when they're not in use. A "Fence", a term coined by this program, is an icon group on your desktop. Fences is an add-on to your desktop, not a replacement.
- Rope off your desktop
Fences allows you to create shaded areas on your desktop that you can place icons in. You can label them however you wish, and move/resize them anywhere on the desktop. Pre-included layouts help speed the process for new users.
- See your wallpaper again! Quickly hide & show all your icons with an easy double-click
Double click blank space on your desktop, and all your icons will fade out. Double click again, and theyâ€™ll return. We think this feature is so useful and unique, that weâ€™ve applied for a patent on it. You can even pick icons and individual Fences to exclude!
No longer free since v2.00
- Persistent fences (and their icons) across pages
- Network drive connection detection. Fences will attempt to recreate mapped folder locations on a reboot.
- Page indicator. Skinnable via editing graphics in Images folder.
- Added ability to reset appearance of All Fences
- Recycle bin jumps out of Fence
- Right click actions make files jump into the same fence
- Unable to move portal fence if title is off
- “Sort by” appears twice for folder fences with labels hidden
- icons would fall out of fence when ran if partially hidden
- You can no longer page onto blank screens (unless dragging an icon or a fence).
- When dragging a fence to a new page, you no longer endlessly scroll to new pages if you stay on the edge.
# New option visible in FolderView pane when Aero is disabled: "Display incompatibility warning when Aero is disabled".
# Can also toggle via registry - "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Stardock\Fences\Tips\NeverWarnAboutAero" = 0x00000001 (DWORD 32bit)