Beyond Compare 3.3.1
Beyond Compare 3 is the ideal tool for comparing files and folders on your Windows system. Visualize changes in your code and carefully reconcile them.
- Compare Files, Folders
Beyond Compare allows you to quickly and easily compare your files and folders. By using simple, powerful commands you can focus on the differences you're interested in and ignore those you're not. You can then merge the changes, synchronize your files, and generate reports for your records.
- Specialized Viewers
Beyond Compare includes built-in comparison viewers for a variety of data types. Compare .csv data or HTML tables in a Data Compare session, or images in a Picture Compare session.
- 3-way Merge
Beyond Compare's new merge view allows you to combine changes from two versions of a file into a single output. Its intelligent approach allows you to quickly accept most changes while carefully examining conflicts.
- Synchronize Folders
Beyond Compare's intuitive Folder Sync interface lets you reconcile differences in your data automatically.
* Notable Changes
- Added full context menu extensions on Linux for Konqueror (KDE), Nautilus (Gnome), and Thunar (Xfce), with configurable visibility and submenus.
- Added support for passing '-' on the command line to load a file from stdin, and added support for FIFOs on Linux.
- Copying to/from FTP/SFTP servers now copies the Unix mode (rwx).
- Character encoding errors during saving now prompt to use a different code page instead of refusing to save.
- Removed prompt to edit read-only files in file views.
- Fixed FTP timezone autodetection.
- Fixed zips not showing files that have paths beginning with /.
- Fixed extracting files from some .7z archives.
- Improved memory usage and speed when reading/writing large snapshots.
* Command Line
- Added support for passing '-' on the command line to load a file from stdin.
* Data Compare
- Added "Select All" button to "Find" dialog.
- "Go To" dialog supports column selection in the row details.
- Removed "characters per line limit" file format setting.
- Improved error handling when line is too long (over 65536 characters), particularly for multi-line cells.
- Fixed editing key column settings when the default column handling is unimportant.
- Fixed crash when loading files with extremely long lines.
- Fixed foreground coloring for non-text columns with differences.
- Fixed hang using Find dialog's "Select All" and "Wrap Search" options.
- Fixed Find "Select All" selecting the current line when it doesn't match the search.
- Fixed detection of whether to save before using new file format.
* File Formats
- Improved "Bash Scripts" handling of escaped quotes and apostrophes.
- Fixed "DisplayAlerts" error using MS Office conversion file formats with Office 2000.
- Fixed "PDF Documents" to use unicode handling.
- Fixed "MS Excel Workbooks" to use unicode handling.
- Improved "SQL" file format string definitions.
* File Views
- Added default shortcuts: "Recompare"=[Ctrl+F5], "Copy File to Right and Open Next Difference"=[Ctrl+Alt+R], "Copy File to Left and Open Next Difference"=[Ctrl+Alt+L]
- Using "Swap Sides" command now preserves the scrollbar position when the cursor is offscreen.
- "Compare Files Using" now maintains parent session link.
- Fixed thumbnail flashing when a comparison is loading.
- Fixed crash when painting the thumbnail.
- Fixed crash after minimizing a Find dialog and switching tabs.
- Fixed using "Save As" after an external conversion so the default filename matches the input with a '.txt' extension.
- Fixed focus changing from the right to left side when opening a new file.
* Folder Compare
- Added default shortcuts: "Align With"=[F6], "New Folder"=[Ins], "Refresh Selection"=[Shift+F5], "Mirror Right"=[Shift+Ctrl+R], "Mirror Left"=[Shift+Ctrl+L]
- Improved Samba auto-detection.
- Improved error handling of network errors when loading folder listings.
- Fixed symlinks to drive roots being incorrectly detected as recursive.
- Fixed renaming a symbolic link with "Follow Symlinks" active showing both the original and renamed entries until a refresh.
- Fixed recursive symlinks not getting logged as errors when trying to expand them.
- Fixed "Find" "Select All" button so it will select the current line if it matches.
- Fixed file counts so they use thousands separators.
- Fixed File Filter combobox showing the wrong context menu.
- Fixed invalidation when changing filters that only affect one side of a comparison.
- Disabled using large buffers to retrieve folder listings on remote servers to help with buggy NAS devices.
- Fixed crash when using "Copy file to left and open next difference" in file compare.
* Folder Sync
- Auto-generated session names now include the sync preset name and directional arrows.
- Uploading to FTP/SFTP servers now copies Unix mode (rwx) if possible.
- Added support for symbolic links in Pure-FTPD's MLSD listing.
- Fixed timezone autodetection, and fixed logging positive local biases as off by 1 minute.
- Fixed "Generate SSH Key Pair" dialog's "Generate" and "Cancel" buttons to respond to [Enter] and [Esc].
- Fixed FTP connections not respecting the <default> settings for "Limit ports used for active transfers (PORT)".
- Fixed crash if a server returns an invalid date in an MDTM request.
- Fixed crash when an FTP Profile's "Encoding" setting is set to either "Unicode" or "Unicode (Big Endian)".
- Fixed prompting to connect when an FTPS SSL certificate's common name doesn't match the host name.
- Fixed connecting to CrushFTP SSH servers.
- Fixed freeze when reloading a Text Compare after saving changes and copying them in the Folder Compare.
* Hex Compare
- Fixed Hex find.
- Text display now uses the system encoding instead of Windows-1252.
- Added full context menu extensions for Konqueror (KDE), Nautilus (Gnome), and Thunar (Xfce). They support all of the options the Windows release has.
- Added support for comparing FIFOs from the command line.
- .bcss files are now associated with Beyond Compare.
- Downloading from FTP/SFTP to a local filesystem now copies Unix mode (rwx) if possible.
- Improved crash handler dialog.
- Fixed errors installing .deb on Ubuntu 11.04.
- Fixed text merge crash when painting center editor.
- Fixed reports printing without line numbers, titles, or footers.
- Fixed load error when comparing RPMs.
- Fixed deleting a symbolic link to the recycle bin.
- Fixed launching default browser when not running KDE or Gnome.
- Fixed support for [Ctrl+A] to select all in edits.
- Fixed treeviews not responding to [*] as "Expand All Subfolders".
- Fixed focus issues with radio button groups.
- Fixed Text "Go To" dialog's default focus.
- Fixed current folder for external conversion file formats.
- Fixed Hex Compare's background coloring of differences.
- Fixed crash when middle-clicking on a tab to close it.
- Fixed lintian error in .deb installer on Ubuntu 11.04 and later.
- Added [Ctrl+Q] as the default shortcut for "Session->Exit".
- XML encoding detection now defaults to UTF-8 instead of ANSI.
- Forms now check if active control handles key accelerator, in particular browse edits.
- Labels showing partial filenames now include the full path as a hint.
- Fixed SpinEdit focus handling, in particular in response to associated key accelerator
- Fixed session tab's "Tear Off" command to affect the right-clicked tab instead of the active one.
- Fixed drag and drop reordering in various lists (File Formats, Grammars, etc) so items can't be dropped onto unrelated windows.
- Fixed converting dates to text on systems with non-ASCII characters (ex. clipboard title on Greek systems).
- Fixed error message for failed Unicode conversions.
- Fixed context menu in Text Compare's "View -> Web Pages" display and in "Check for Updates" dialog.
- Fixed crash when closing BC while the help window is open on a 32-bit Vista/Win7 system with IE9 installed.
- Fixed help window hanging if Beyond Compare's foreground thread is busy.
- Fixed updating menus with toolbar visibility when closing undocked toolbars.
- Fixed control positions when running on Far East systems with scaled fonts.
- Fixed displaying localized dates in various places. (affects Delphi "Select Revisions" dialog, "Startup" options page, Data Compare cells, MP3 Compare tags, FTP "View Certificate" dialog)
* MP3 Compare
- Added "Play Both" to "Session" menu.
- Fixed crash when comparing MP3 tags with line endings.
- Added explanation that Explorer integration requires non-portable install.
- Added "milliseconds before incremental search resets" tweak.
- "Open With" options page now confirms clearing list.
- Tweaked layout for various pages.
- Fixed changing "Detect partial file locks on" tweak to enable "Apply" button.
* Picture Compare
- Fixed copying to clipboard.
* Registry Compare
- Added "Open in Text Edit" for files.
- Added "Up One Level" spec bar buttons.
- Fixed reading .reg files with comments after the first line.
- Text "XML Dump" now includes display filter, show context, ignore unimportant, and just selection states.
- Folder and Picture Compare report headers now include whether unimportant differences are ignored.
- Removed unnecessary "Just Selection" option from MP3, Registry, and Version Compare reports.
- Removed unnecessary "Mode" option from "File Summary" reports.
- Fixed truncation if a Folder Compare report contains characters that don't exist in the system's ANSI code page.
- Fixed Text "Stats" report not to count empty on both sides as added line.
- Fixed report generation when using print preview with different report styles without closing the report dialog.
- Report layouts that don't use colors no longer offer HTML difference highlighting.
- Data Compare report no longer tries to right justify floating point data.
- Fixed crash generating a Picture Compare report of an empty comparison.
- Fixed shortcuts displayed in hints in the Print Preview dialog.
- Added "CRITERIA FOLLOW-SYMLINKS" option to enable the "Follow Symbolic Links" session setting.
- Added "FILTER INCLUDE-PROTECTED" option to disable the "Exclude protected operating system files" filter, and "FILTER EXCLUDE-PROTECTED" to re-enable it.
- Fixed "PICTURE-REPORT" support for "OPTIONS:IGNORE-UNIMPORTANT".
- Added "Locked" to "Session" menu.
- Fixed extracting session name/path on CJK systems.
* Source Control
- Comparisons launched from PVCS no longer treat the original file as read-only.
- Fixed PVCS integration when launched from Visual Studio.
* Text Views
- Character encoding errors during saving now prompt to use a different code page, rather than refusing to save.
- Added default shortcuts: "Next Replacement"=[Shift+Ctrl+Alt+N], "Previous Replacement"=[Shift+Ctrl+Alt+P]
- Improved "Grammar Item" dialog's "Delimited" handling when "to" must be single character (not RegEx, Escape defined).
- Improved "Next/Previous Difference" handling and improved performance.
- Fixed line endings being inserted when copying wrapped lines.
- Fixed "View->Webpages" so it doesn't trigger the file format "Trim trailing whitespace" or "Convert leading spaces to tabs" on save behavior.
- Fixed Find matching the last match repeatedly when wrap is disabled.
- Fixed character alignment gap handling when ignoring unimportant differences (affects "Next/Previous Difference").
- Fixed "Find Next/Previous" so it doesn't support editing in line mode.
- Fixed crash when deleting text with gaps.
- Fixed crash when changing horizontal scroll position.
- Fixed Replace All with "Wrap search" behavior.
- Fixed crash when using "Replace All" with "Show Differences" comparing identical files.
- Fixed crash using "Previous Difference" when first segment is character alignment gap.
* Text Compare
- Removed prompt to edit read-only files.
- Declining to edit a binary files when prompted will prompt again at the next attempt instead of disabling editing.
* Text Merge
- Added "Take Left Then Right" and "Take Right Then Left" to center panel's context menu and fixed position of "Copy".
- Fixed crash when using certain commands with a detached output window.
- Fixed "Open With" and "Open with Text Edit" in output pane.
* Version Compare
- Improved error handling of malformed version information.