AbiWord is a free word processing program similar to Microsoft® Word. It is suitable for a wide variety of word processing tasks.
Enjoy your favorite Word Processor on the operating system you like to use - be it Windows, Linux, QNX, FreeBSD or Solaris.
AbiWord is able to read and write all industry standard document types, such as OpenOffice.org documents, Microsoft Word documents, WordPerfect documents, Rich Text Format documents, HTML web pages and many more.
Advanced Document Layout
Give your document that professional, scientific or fun-to-read look using AbiWord's advanced document layout options. Use tables, bullets, lists, images, footnotes, endnotes and styles to enhance the way your document looks.
AbiWord comes in many different languages. AbiWord is available in most common and many not-so-common languages. Dictionaries exist for over 30 languages.
AbiWord v2.4.2 ChangeLog
- Enable the pasting of charts from Gnumeric 1.6
- Fix rendering position, low resolution and editing issues of embedded charts
- Bugfixes: 9745
Daniel d'Andrada TenÃ³rio de Carvalho (INdT)
- A *massive* number of updates to the OpenDocument importer!
- An OpenDocument exporter!
- Bugfixes: 9768, 9768
- Fix bug 171921 from bugzilla.redhat.com
- Fix a long standing memory leak in the encoding manager (Unix)
- Various automated testing routines
- Fix various memory leaks (one of several 100KB) in the image handling code from the RTF importer (bug 9643)
- Fix memory leaks in the OpenWriter importer/exporter and other plugins
- Make the automated testing routines a bit more reliable
- Kill a lot of compilation warnings
- Update the OpenDocument plugin build infrastucture (Mac OSX)
- Bugfixes: 9439
- Fix a sponteneous quit on the Nokia 770
- Initialize osso 'more properly' on the Nokia 770
- Fix desktop and service files on the Nokia 770
- Some fixes/cleanups to the file chooser dialog on the Nokia 770
- Change the toolbar layout for Nokia 770
- Bugfixes: 9700, 9701
- Update Symbol font-remap table and fix Insert Symbol dialog (Mac OSX)
- Update the math plugin data files (Mac OSX)
- Substitute different unicode values for dot, tilde and OverBar in the math plugin
- Installation README: add note on text rendering (bug 9654, Mac OSX)
- Math plugin: load dictionary-combining.xml also, don't half the thickness when filling rectangles and make the default line thickness 0.5pt
- Try to make fillRect more accurate (Mac OSX)
- Don't add glyph advance to the width for the cmex10 font in glyphBox() (Mac OSX)
- Math plugin: prevent crash when equation data is mysteriously missing
- Add a check grammar preference to options dialog (Mac OSX)
- Bugfixes: 9658
- Avoid appending nothing to UT_String
- Fix various bidi / directionality problems with RTL footnotes (bug 9793)
- Fix word wrapping in RTL text where it added line brakes in the middle of words (bug 9792)
- Bugfixes: 9618, 9622
- Bugfixes: 9473 and/or 8255, 9227
- Add a new method called 'convert' which takes a suffix as input to the AbiCommand plugin
- Use glib for readline argument parsing aka UNIX shell-style parsing in the AbiCommand plugin. It'll properly handle stuff with spaces in its name now.
- The 'server' command in the AbiCommand plugin now takes an argument; remove lots of unused vars, header files, etc. general-purpose cleanup.
- Push some logic about when to free streams down from AbiWord into WvWare
- Remove confusing dead code from the GdkPixbuf loader (Unix)
- Free the document if we can't import the file
- Fix various libxml2 related memory leaks
- Faster and leak-free image detection method (Unix)
- Remove bits of unused code
- Fix a crash on bogus-looking token in the MS Word importer
- Initialize the type of fields in the MS Word importer
- Stop some illegal writes in the MS Word importer related to fields
- Remedy load-time regressions caused by UUIDs intended for the AbiCollab project, which is a 2.6+ project
- (Finally) get image ownership right (i hope) in the MS Word importer
- Free the memory when we can't decode the pixbuf to a PNG (Unix)
- Bugfixes: 9667
- Update build instructions for MSVC71
- Bugfixes: 9638
- Build fix for 64-bit architectures
- Make the OpenDocument plugin depend on a slightly lower libgsf version
- GCC 4.1 build fix
- Update the OpenDocument plugin build infrastucture (Windows)
- Recover properly after a 'system suspend' on the Nokia 770
- Several plugin build system updates
- Fix the low image quality when printing (bug 6671, Unix)
- Update the math plugin to sync it with gtkmathview 0.7.6. Fixes include: \hbar works correctly now, as well as several other glyphs (MSAM and MSBM fonts are now supported).
- Don't crash if xft can't find a font (Unix)
- Fix the placement of the footnote text in the document body after an RTF export (bug 8123)
- Various fixes for loading the RTF-1.5 specification file
- Fix underlining of first list-label in the RTF/MS Word importer
- Fix the AbiCommand plugin "save" command and surpress the HTML dialog when "save as HTML" is called from AbiCommand
- Bugfixes: 9631
- OpenBSD build fix (bug 9605)
- Bugfixes: 9675
- Revert a previous patch for table importing of Word Perfect documents; optimal results with libwpd 0.8.4
- Import tabstops correctly in the Word Perfect importer
- Make the bookmark toolbar button actually respond to document changes (semi-fix for bug 7337) (Windows)
- Update the OpenDocument plugin build infrastucture (Windows)
- Prevent dataloss when exporting a document with an equation in it to .txt (i.e. the exporter stopped when it hit PTO_Math).
- Prevent a crash that occurs when dragging the textbox in attachment 3553 (from bug 9747) without a suitable plugin loaded (note: this issue is different from the one reported in the bug).
- Tweak the menu to show that the Edit equation and Save embedded object both raise dialogs (Windows)
- Fix Windows Tools Uninstaller Does Not Remove Grammar Checker Dictionaries (bug 9576)
- Bugfixes: 9573, 9574, 9575
- Unref the pixbuf loader in the image importer, fixes memory leak (Unix)
- 5% speedup for the RTF 1.5 spec by avoiding lots of setlocale calls
- Unload all loaded plugins, removes some of the memory leaks shown at shutdown (Unix)
- Plug a memory leak in the DocBook plugin
- Plug a memory leak in the menu handling code (Unix)
- Plug a memory leak in the image handling code (Unix)