AbiWord is a free word processing program similar to Microsoft® Word. It is suitable for a wide variety of word processing tasks.
Enjoy your favorite Word Processor on the operating system you like to use - be it Windows, Linux, QNX, FreeBSD or Solaris.
AbiWord is able to read and write all industry standard document types, such as OpenOffice.org documents, Microsoft Word documents, WordPerfect documents, Rich Text Format documents, HTML web pages and many more.
Advanced Document Layout
Give your document that professional, scientific or fun-to-read look using AbiWord's advanced document layout options. Use tables, bullets, lists, images, footnotes, endnotes and styles to enhance the way your document looks.
AbiWord comes in many different languages. AbiWord is available in most common and many not-so-common languages. Dictionaries exist for over 30 languages.
* Editing/Layout (All platforms)
- Fix a bug where deleting a character in non-Western scripts caused a random number of characters to be deleted. (Martin Sevior)
* Editing/Layout (Linux / Mac OSX)
- Bug 6987: "Thai string can't be deleted in proper sequence". This fix applies to all non-Western scripts, for example Russian and Arabic scripts were affected too. This also fixes the cursor movement for complex scripts, as text cluster boundaries are now always honored. (Marc Maurer)
- Bug 11785: Abiword shows strange symbols instead of Arabic characters. This fix applies to all languages that activate our font substitution mechanism. (Marc Maurer)
- Fix the text rendering of complex scripts when text is selected. (Marc Maurer)
- Use double click to select a component type and close the dialog. (Jean Bréfort)
- Maintain and release 2.8.4 (Marc Maurer)
- Link the OpenDocument plugin explicitly against zlib, which fixes the autoconf MinGW build. (Fridrich Strba)