Python is a dynamic object-oriented programming language that can be used for many kinds of software development. It offers strong support for integration with other languages and tools, comes with extensive standard libraries, and can be learned in a few days. Many Python programmers report substantial productivity gains and feel the language encourages the development of higher quality, more maintainable code.
Python runs on Windows, Linux/Unix, Mac OS X, OS/2, Amiga, Palm Handhelds, and Nokia mobile phones. Python has also been ported to the Java and .NET virtual machines.
Python is distributed under an OSI-approved open source license that makes it free to use, even for commercial products.
# Core and Builtins
- Issue #10391: Don't dereference invalid memory in error messages in the ast module.
- Issue #10459: Update CJK character names to Unicode 5.1.
- Issue #10092: Properly reset locale in calendar.Locale*Calendar classes.
- Issue #6098: Don't claim DOM level 3 conformance in minidom.
- Issue #5762: Fix AttributeError raised by ``xml.dom.minidom`` when an empty XML namespace attribute is encountered.
- Issue #1710703: Write structures for an empty ZIP archive when a ZipFile is created in modes 'a' or 'w' and then closed without adding any files. Raise BadZipfile (rather than IOError) when opening small non-ZIP files.
- Issue #4493: urllib.request adds '/' in front of path components which does not start with '/. Common behavior exhibited by browsers and other clients.
- Issue #6378: idle.bat now runs with the appropriate Python version rather than the system default. Patch by Sridhar Ratnakumar.
- Issue #10407: Fix two NameErrors in distutils.
- Issue #10198: fix duplicate header written to wave files when writeframes() is called without data.
- Issue #10467: Fix BytesIO.readinto() after seeking into a position after the end of the file.
- Issue #1682942: configparser supports alternative option/value delimiters.
- Backport r83399 to allow test_distutils to pass on installed versions.
- Issue #1303434: Generate ZIP file containing all PDBs (already done for rc1).
- Stop packaging versioncheck tool (already done for rc1).
- Accept Oracle Berkeley DB 4.8, 5.0 and 5.1 as backend for the dbm extension.
- Issue #9424: Replace deprecated assert* methods in the Python test suite.
- Issue #10299: List the built-in functions in a table in functions.rst.